Stainless Guides

Started by jlw1972, June 20, 2012, 01:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlw1972

A Star deluxe Spinning rod with stainless ring guides. How well will they hold up to braid? I've alway's used the rod with mono only but now have the need to use it with braid. Maybe 20lbs of drag.

Should I just strip it and put SIC guides on or will the Stainless last a while. Thanks for any help.

broadway

JLW,
    Even if the stainless guides last a while you'll always have to wonder when they'll dig in and cut your braid.  I'd go SIC or nitride to play it safe with all that drag.
Dom

Dominick

Quote from: broadway on June 20, 2012, 03:18:16 AM
I'd go SIC or nitride to play it safe with all that drag. Dom

Man doesn't anyone live on the edge anymore?  :o 
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

QuoteMan doesn't anyone live on the edge anymore? :o
;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

20# of drag is quite high, I would switch out to at least aluminum oxide or hardloy.  i believe ti coated guides will be fine.  Those usually have a golden color to the guid ring.

If you want to stay old school, I'd use Carbide guides from the old Mildred company.  Great guides for old-school wire frame guides.

Quote from: jlw1972 on June 20, 2012, 01:17:44 AM
A Star deluxe Spinning rod with stainless ring guides. How well will they hold up to braid? I've alway's used the rod with mono only but now have the need to use it with braid. Maybe 20lbs of drag.

Should I just strip it and put SIC guides on or will the Stainless last a while. Thanks for any help.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

REK

A lot of my rods have SS guilds and I've been using spectra for years. Zero issues. There was some "knockoff" SS guilds that were trouble a few years ago. If you have the "knockoffs", you would know it by just spooling line through the guilds one time.

Bryan Young

If you are using uncoated braid, I'd switch.  If you are using coated, then it should be okay, but I'd watch it after each fishing trip.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jlw1972

Thanks for the input. I'll fish em until I see a problem. Thanks again.

broadway

JLW,
     I hope you don't get that "big one" that decides to run hard, saw into your guide, and fray your braid to the point of no return because you will kick yourself... esp. since you will be able to go back to this thread.
There are already so many variables in "catching" I like to eliminate the what-ifs.
Best of luck,
Dom