wet versus dry drags

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Quote from: kungajim on June 21, 2016, 08:30:18 PM
I know it's an old post and it's probably a rookie question, but then again...I'm a rookie.  looks like you can use Cal's drag grease on drags, and anywhere else where grease would go in the reel.  I'm probably going to get some Cal's, but until then I am using reel butter at this time.   Am I correct to assume that you guys would suggest go with dry drags rather than using this grease?

Jim

On the other hand, I would go dry unless the reel is being fished actively in saltwater. You'll have to clean the reel butter off/out of them before the Cal's otherwise.

kungajim

thx guys.  I have some cal's on the way so will use that for the drags, and will continue to use the reel butter for the rest.  I usually fish freshwater, but love fishing the slop so my reels get pretty cruddy really quick.  That green slimey stuff gets in there as good as salt and sand and want to keep them running as best I can.   

thx again.  this site is great.

Jim
so many baits....so little time

Lalo13

I have used both Cal's and Reel butter , I do tinker quite a bit , I have found that the butter seems to almost break down and evaporate on reels that take beatings , reels used for Muskie fishing that is , so I went and got Cal's , it hold up very well and does stay put in all types of conditions  , the same cannot be said for the butter , just my opinion not the law ...

maine guide

May have been asked previously. Do any of you grease (Cal's) non carbon fiber washers?  Let's just say you kept the Dartanium washers in your old Torium for a bit before you ordered Carbontex. Is there any harm in greasing those with Cal's or could it have adverse effects?

boon

Quote from: maine guide on October 03, 2017, 12:34:12 AM
May have been asked previously. Do any of you grease (Cal's) non carbon fiber washers?  Let's just say you kept the Dartanium washers in your old Torium for a bit before you ordered Carbontex. Is there any harm in greasing those with Cal's or could it have adverse effects?

I grease all the things. Felt, Dartanium, even teeny tiny baitrunner drag washers.

Vintage tackle man

So I have a question? Does anyone have experience with greasing or not greasing  penns asbestos drag washers with Cal's drag Grease. The old catalogs recommend using them dry. I just picked up a 349 h and plan on using it fishing for Wahoo and some bottom fishing the real is decent with very little wear ( has not been used in a very long time) and the drags are in good shape and as most know parts are difficult to find for this reel. Thought about converting it  to HT 100 but now is the time  for good wahoo  and wanted to keep it original as possible with the three stack drag if they made HT 100 in the exact size  I would go with that option but they don't Thanks for any advice

RowdyW

Don't grease or oil asbestos drag washers. They are the same material that was used in old style drum brakes on your car. Do you know what happens if you got grease or oil on your drum brakes or they got wet??  ;D         Rudy

Swami805

You should be ok with those drags for bottom fishing but not for wahoo   Pretty sure you can find carbontex washers from someone on here. Well worth the investment
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Tiddlerbasher

Dawn at Smoothdrag has the 5 plus 1 kits for the 349H - more drag and smoother $38 the last time I checked:

http://www.smoothdrag.com/price.html

RowdyW

Randy if you want to switch to CF drags you will have to go with either Smooth Drag set up  which is a complete 5 washer setup or you could use 113h washers which are a little smaller on the outer diameter & use a 113h gear sleeve. Also you will need one more 349h eared washer & one keyed 349h eared washer. The simplest way is to just call Dawn for the complete setup.         Rudy

Vintage tackle man

Quote from: RowdyW on November 30, 2017, 02:33:57 PM
Don't grease or oil asbestos drag washers. They are the same material that was used in old style drum brakes on your car. Do you know what happens if you got grease or oil on your drum brakes or they got wet??  ;D         Rudy

You make a great point. I have a 65 Mustang that had 4 wheel drum brakes on it and it tends to flood a lot in South Florida got them wet one time and could not stop push that pedal as hard as I could LOL. On another note I've seen rear axle seals leak axel oil on the brake drums and completely soak them funny thing is the car or truck still stops pretty good but it does soak into the shoes material and makes it sort of disintegrate and swell also the wet shoes don't stop as smooth makes it kind of grabby also causing a noise when braking which is usually the first indication your drums have oil on them.

Decker

Quote from: Vintage tackle man on November 30, 2017, 08:09:31 PM
Quote from: RowdyW on November 30, 2017, 02:33:57 PM

You make a great point. I have a 65 Mustang that had 4 wheel drum brakes on it and it tends to flood a lot in South Florida got them wet one time and could not stop push that pedal as hard as I could LOL. On another note I've seen rear axle seals leak axel oil on the brake drums and completely soak them funny thing is the car or truck still stops pretty good but it does soak into the shoes material and makes it sort of disintegrate and swell also the wet shoes don't stop as smooth makes it kind of grabby also causing a noise when braking which is usually the first indication your drums have oil on them.

I had a Volkswagon GTI, and one chilly Fall New England morning I was pulling out of the driveway onto a busy street, and putting light pressure on the brake pedal found that the brakes were not grabbing at all.   I had to push really hard just to get the car to slow down.   It was momentarily scary.   I think there was frost on the pad and/or rotors and they were just gliding past eachother.  Just happened that once and never again, thankfully.

Vintage tackle man

Thanks all for the advice I think I will use the asbestos drags (dry) for now and eventually order the smooth drag kit in the future. I've also never used the Stock asbestos drags before kind of curious how they work compared to the newer drags of today. I'll see what it was like for the older fisherman of the day. ;D

Rivverrat

Quote from: Vintage tackle man on December 07, 2017, 01:50:17 PM
Thanks all for the advice I think I will use the asbestos drags (dry) for now and eventually order the smooth drag kit in the future. I've also never used the Stock asbestos drags before kind of curious how they work compared to the newer drags of today. I'll see what it was like for the older fisherman of the day. ;D

You may be very surprised at what you find... Jeff

Tiddlerbasher

Just get Dawn's drag set - grease em with Cals you are good to go :) And no I don't get commission just saying ;)