wet versus dry drags

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on February 02, 2018, 01:16:41 AM
Just get Dawn's drag set - grease em with Cals you are good to go :) And no I don't get commission just saying ;)

The first thing I replace on a 349 is the drag stack, the old 3 asbestos drags ok when dry but a 5 greased CF washer stack is stronger, smoother and never fails. 

FYI, I cut the 349 washers for Dawn.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Busanga

My Avet Pro EXW 50 actually advertises their Titanium Disc and DRY brake system. it is very smooth. when it comes time to service this reel should i grease this drag.

Am in no way doubting that it is better having greased drags normally and modern reels are greased drags , as in my Shimano Stella SW (2019), But as this Avet specifically mentions the dry drag system as a design point on this reel, am a bit wary of greasing them. Also they are bonded to the discs so is not a case of just replacing a bit of carbon should they not work correctly if greased.
Any experience with these 'Dry' drag systems

From AVET...

Do not over lubricate, as lube in the wrong places such as the drag surfaces can cause poor performance. Sparingly apply grease to high friction components like gear teeth, cam surfaces and clicker assembly. The spool bearings should be sparingly lubed with a high quality oil like Avet lube, with the excess bottle away to avoid flinging and contaminating the drag surface when the spool spines. The drag surface don't wear out on Avet reel, and only need replace in extreme cases. If the drag feels lees than perfect, a simple cleaning will refurbish it to like new performance. Remove the bearing from the spool, run the spool and carbon drag surface under warm tap water, with drop of dish washing soap and a tooth brush, vigorously scrub the carbon surface to remove any contaminates. Hold the spool under the warm tap water and continue scrubbing until the foam disappears and blot dry with a paper towel.

alantani

yup, avet stubbornly holds to that opinion.  can't help it, or them.  they're just gonna do what they're gonna do. :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!