Problem with snelled circle hook

Started by smnaguwa, June 29, 2012, 08:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShoreKasterHI

Can anyone repost or bring back the pictures from this thread?

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Bryan Young

Unfortunately they are lost.  Only the person that has the photos and bring them back.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

smnaguwa

Thanks everyone for the helpful info. I changed the snells on my circle hooks and have done great this season bank fishing for the stripers. No break-offs at the strike. -Stan

Three se7ens

I'd really like to see the pics too, I've never had acceptable results Snelling my own hooks, and I'd like to learn the right way to do it.

maxpowers

i snelled a couple of ways depending on whether it is a leader or to the standing line.  If it is a leader, i send the line thru the eye and start wrapping back abour 8-10 times and send the line back thru the eye again.  pulled tight on the knot on both the tag end and the standing end.  If it is a standing line then I send the line thru the eye with a longer tag end.  Make a loop and start wrapping the free portion of the tag end toward the eye,  about 6-10 wraps.  then carefuly send the eye back thru the loop and pull tight.  Make sure on circle hook to go thru the eye from front to back,

jonathan.han

Passing the eye through the eye of a straight-eye hook provides provides a better hook angle to penetrate. You can't look as a line being "in line" as better since the hook point will NOT be perpindicular to the surface of the mouth to be penetrated. Though the line passing through a circle hook looks incorrect when coming out from the "bottom", it aligns for a better position when there is pressure on the hook point. The line pressure on the bottom of the hook eye rotates the hook point into the mouth of the fish and not away. No knowledgeable fishermen would tie a circle hook any other way. Keta is correct. If you are not convinced, continue tying snelled circle hooks the way you have. It will work, but not as effectively.

I do this for all my salmon mooching leaders and that is how it is done for longlining black cod/sablefish on the West Coast. If you did it any other way, you'd be finding a new deckhand position with a skipper who does not understand the physics involved in the snell.
raw instinct

jonathan.han

Bryan, you're right about the eyes.

It depends on the brand of hooks that you use if the eye will cut severely or not. They all cut, but some do to a lesser extent than others. Then there are the flattened hooks that come on sabiki rigs and on some Japanese/Korean hooks that I have seen. Those get straight snelled. A straight eye hook can be straight snelled without passing the line through the eye. Many things work, but some approaches can work a little better. I'll take those little bits. It's just like making a car fast. A bunch of little things add up.
raw instinct

Brendan

I know this is ancient, I have been trying to figure out a sliding snell and have had mixed results testing. Just wondering what's the preferred method with best knot strength.
Tight lines, Brendan.

Keta

Sliding snell like a slip hook mooching rig?  If so use waxed dental floss to snell the sliding hook.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Brendan

I was wondering about the Snell itself as far as which method of tying it. I've had some snap off pretty easily testing with a scale. Thank's Keta.

Keta

I don't like slip hooks, I tie my mooching rigs to fit the bait.   
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain