CHANGE TO LONGER RODS FOR TUNA

Started by LTM, June 29, 2012, 10:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Guys,

There seems to be a transition to longer rods for standup fishing.  My heavy rods (Calstar Boomer Jr for 60/80# and Sabre CTS 655 TSS 80/100#) are both 5.5 foot rods.  It seems that everyone has changed to 6 to 6.5 foot rods now.  What's up with that?  Does this mean its the end of my shorter rods (they used to catch giant tuna)?  ???  Does this mean I need to build new rods for all my 2-speed lever drag reels.  Is there still an application/usage for my 5.5 foot rods?

This reminds me of the story of the bumble bee that learned how to read.  The bee would fly into the library of a home and read whatever books were open on the table/desk in the home library.  One day an encyclopedia was open to the page regarding bee's.  It said that the "laws of physichs"  states that a bee's wings are too small to support the weight of the bees body and the bee should not be able to fly for it goes againt all laws of physics. After reading this, the educated and knowledgable bee started stumbling around sputtering attempting to fly for his knowledge had told him that he couldnt fly so his mind wouldnt let him fly now.
Just then as the bee was stumbling around a bird noticed the open window and the fat tasty bee stumbling around on the desk and flew in the open window to eat the bee.  The bee see's the bird swooping down to attack him and flys away avoiding getting ate by the bird.
The moral to the story:  just because science/facts states something is impossible doesnt mean it's so.  :o

Your comments are appreciated,

Leo

Bryan Young

IMO, it's probably best described by the pro-staffers and marketing as they need to sell rods to make money and keep their sponsorship/salary.  Shorter rods have more leverage, but is often less forgiving due to the stoutness of the shorter rod.  Other than that, I don't see any other advantages just purely based on length.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

LTM

Jim

Quote from: LTM on June 29, 2012, 10:11:27 PM
Guys,

There seems to be a transition to longer rods for standup fishing.  My heavy rods (Calstar Boomer Jr for 60/80# and Sabre CTS 655 TSS 80/100#) are both 5.5 foot rods.  It seems that everyone has changed to 6 to 6.5 foot rods now.  What's up with that?  Does this mean its the end of my shorter rods (they used to catch giant tuna)?  ???  Does this mean I need to build new rods for all my 2-speed lever drag reels.  Is there still an application/usage for my 5.5 foot rods?

Leo

The longer rods correspond with the rail fishing trend. When you put a 6.5ft rod's foregrip on the rail you have more rod sticking out to prevent the line from rubbing the hull when a big tuna circles. BUT, by using a harness you can put the butt grip on the rail as a fulcrum, making a 5.5ft rod actually reach further out than a 6.5. Of course, that means a 6.5 ft rod being "butt railed" (wow, that sounds bad) reaches even further out, for more protection against the hull (and props).
There are other times/situations when some more length helps too, like lobbing a sardine out underhand on very heavy line.
Your 5.5ft rods are not obsolete, but not optimal any more. Sorry, mine are relegated to the "unused tackle closet" also . . .

JGB

Leo,

A lot of private boaters on the East coast and Hawaii still use and like the short sticks. When you get on the LR boats a longer rod helps to keep the line clear of the boat. It seems that the days of those occasional cows on the shorter trips is gone and a 150# is considered a giant. The 10-14 day trips are targeting cows and super cows with rods on the rail. Gone is the macho game of fighting a cow pure standup (a short rod makes that possible).
What is happening is the short stiff broom sticks are getting a technology kick from better materials. This allows them to basically add a soft tip to a broom stick. That is what we call a modern rail rod. An example is the Seeker 2x4 ( XXH tip on a XXXXH butt and mid section). Too much rod for me :D. I don't fish for cows so my experience is limited when it comes to heavy gear. I do know that if the rod is short it better be stiff or you will have difficulty controlling big fish. Last year I had a stubborn 85# YFT on a 6' heavy 60# Andros jig rod. When I loaded it up the rod bent and effectively shortened to 4'. The deck hand had to grab my rod lean over the rail and put the butt of the rod on the hull to keep the line from touching (the fish was about 10 feet deep at the time and was taking big circles).

Jim N.

LTM

Thanx Jim's,

This is good information; and just what I was looking for.  I dont look for cow tuna ANY MORE, and when THEY run into me I need a setup thats going to be VERY forgiving to my aging body and back.  If this rail rod thing works out for me; I plan to have a rail rod from 40# to 80#.

Thanx much ALL, (this is a great forum)

Leo

Nessie Hunter

Here is a add on rail plate. 
Could be the answer to that problem with a lot less cash out the door??

http://www.peacetoken.com/rail-plate.html
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

LTM

Thanx Nessie Hunter,

I have the plate in the photo, I used to use it for rock-cod fishing.  What I was referring to was specifically addressed by both of the Jim's.

Thanx much, btw have you found the Nessie of Arrowhead/Big Bear Lakes yet?

Leo

floating doc

Here's an addition to the discussion. I'm in FL, and not real up on the changes to the rod theories that you are discussing.

It's really an interesting subject. Since the onset of the standup rods back in the 80's the west coast long-range party boat fisheries have driven the technological changes for rod design.

I was just getting started building rods in about 1980. I was working in NJ and NY training harness horses, and met a tackle shop owner that had been fishing out of San Diego. He got me started on building standup rods. When I got back to FL with those rods, no one had ever seen one. Naturally, everyone thought I was nuts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170630611345?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
Central Florida

LTM

Floatingdoc,

Thanx for the ebay link.  On the left coast here, I havent ran into any party boats with metal tubed rail's (all Ive seen are planks of wood).  However, some private boats have the tube rails on some portions of the skiffs.  Jim N (he must be a party boat skipper) summarized what I was thinking/asking about best.  Ive been using my heavy rods with long foregrips in this fashion in the past; I just hope I dont destroy my hypalon in the process (so far so good).

Thanx for the additional comments,

Leo

conchydong

Here is a video of David Choate (Wahoodad) using the rail.
He is one of the best.

Normslanding

Rail rods are for just that, for rail fishing. I weigh 157 lbs. and do not have trouble with big fish on the rail. But on a cruiser, or skiff the long rod can cause a lot of problems. Pipe rail and rods do not get along. I have a concave aluminum insert near the end of my fore grip. This rests on the rail, but sloping rail still requires a stopper. Like a deckhands hand to keep the rod from sliding. All this contributes to fatigue. Fishing 130 lb. on a 7 ft. rod from a rocking skiff will give you the opportunity to go swimming. I now fish 5 ft. rods on smaller boats. This gives you greater leverage. It also gives the opportunity to fish heavy drag setting. The boat operator can assist by keeping the fish from being straight up and down. This keeps the fish and line away from the boat. That in what a rail rod does. So it depends on how you fish, and on what. I do both, so I have both.

floating doc

Quote from: conchydong on July 17, 2012, 07:58:05 PM

Here is a video of David Choate (Wahoodad) using the rail.
He is one of the best.

Well, that's just amazing! It also shows the functionality of the two speed reels. Being able to crank down in low gear looks pretty essential.

I appreciate the link. I searched for videos last night without success.
Central Florida

Bunnlevel Sharker

Send those unwanted short rods my way ;) Be a good excuse to get a 50 or 80w makiara
Grayson Lanier

saltydog

I'll take the shorties anytime,they all have a place in my heart.Now there are occasions when the longer rods come into play but thats why we need more rods and reels,every one of them has a special purpose I keep saying to my wife. I know she just puts up with it cause every guy has to have a hobby.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur