Newell p447 pinion making noise

Started by Acord95ex, July 03, 2012, 05:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acord95ex

When my reel is in freespool and I turn the reel so the clicker side is down and the handle side plate is facing up there is a rattling noise...when I opened it up I think it is the pinion gear that might be loose? Not sure but has anyone else experienced this problem or have any guidance?

Bryan Young

Yup, tonight as I just finished a S220-5.  Spool alignment is the key.  You have to adjust the spool from right to left ever so slightly and it will disappear.  If that doesn't work, then you may need a bearing shim as well as not all bearings are the same width.  A 10th of an inch will through the spool off...at least that is what I had to do to make the sound disappear.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Acord95ex

Thanks Bryan I will try it out tomorrow hopefully if I have some time and post the results.

bluefish69

Not ALL Bearing Cups are the same depth. Try to keep the bearing even with the top of the bearing cup.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

alantani

does this happen when you spin the spool?  if so, the first guess would be the left spool bearing. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Acord95ex

It happens when I spin the spool and also when I spin the handle (both in free spool).  It's a rattling/grinding noise.

I tried playing with the bearing caps on each side loosening and tightening but to no success.

I took apart the reel and looked at the pinion gear when in free spool..it looks like it is close to even with the hole and not completely beneath it..I opened up my 546 at the same time and the pinion gear goes completely beneath that hole. I'm not sure if this is causing the noise?

kauaifish808

Try check the stainless steel jack theres two fingers on there that pushes da stainless steel yoke and pinion from free spool dat might be bent from engageing from free spool to retrieve so da yoke and pinion is not fully clearing the shaft into free spool try bent or push that two little fingers upwards a little tad bit not to much or it will break 

Acord95ex

Thank you everyone for your inputs! I did what kauaifish808 said and it worked.. Reel is no longer making any noise in free spool!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Nessie Hunter

Once bent that Jack will not stay.. Metal Fatigue...!!!!
Do yourself a favor and try and locate a SS one or new one & replace it..
It will fail soon again...   :'(
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Acord95ex

Thanks for the heads up...anyone got one for sale?

bluefish69

Can you remove your Jack Plate? Some Bridge Plates have posts that are flattened on top. If you can get the Jack plate off let me know I have one for you. I won't be able to get to the P O till Thursday. I just started a new job on a boat in Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn.

Send P M with info
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Acord95ex

Thanks bluefish I am pretty sure it can come off but I will check my reel and get back to you!