YET ANOTHER DIY SPOOL PIN REMOVAL TOOL

Started by LTM, July 14, 2012, 01:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Hey Guys,

Here's another DIY BB pin removal tool.  The cost of the pliers was $10 on sale at Home Depot a couple of months ago, during the time I first joined the forum (I was busy for a week making tools due to budgetary restraints).  This tool works excellently with a minimum of effort.  I used my Dremel with the standard thick cut-off wheel; in hind-sight I could have made a narrower slot with the thin cut-off wheel.  I finished the slot I made with some small needle files, here goes the photos:

Heres the bottom view of the cut-out in the lower jaw of the pliers

Another view of the slot in the lower jaw:

And finally a full view of the pliers w/the model number:

The pliers are made by Vise Grip and the model number is "GV8". These are the 8 inch models as opposed to the "GV11" which are 11 inches long.  BTW, I scribed lines on the tool prior to cutting it.  Also, slightly off-setting the slot from the center of the lower jaw surface will help facilitate pin removal when limited space is a problem as in working with small spools.

Hope this helps some of you guys,

Leo

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

LTM

Thanx Alan,

Another primal example of man's nature of tool making from "necessity is the mother of invention".  Besides the week spent thinking about and then making my little tools was very satisifying knowing that I made some tools and saved some $$$$.

Leo

Dominick

New nickname, Leo the Tool Man.   ;)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

LTM

Dominick,

Is that my new handle?  ;D  BTW, it also is close to my handle of "LTM".

Leo

alantani

Quote from: Pescachaser on July 14, 2012, 05:53:11 PM
New nickname, Leo the Tool Man.   ;)  Dominick

ok, not THAT is really funny!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

LTM

One more thing,

I picked this particular model of "slip-joint" pliers cause the silver disc on the pivot is actually a locking button that you depress to move the lower jaw up and down securing the pliers at the opening you've selected.  This works great not focusing your attention on the pliers while working.

Leo

Bryan Young

Very cool ltm. Thanks for sharing your creativity.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Quote from: LTM on July 14, 2012, 11:34:03 PM
Dominick,

BTW, it also is close to my handle of "LTM".

Leo
C'mon Leo, ya gotta give me more credit.  Check the uppercase letters in my original post. ;)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

LTM

LTM

FYI,

I was looking at the other most recent post with almost the same title as this and his PanaVise head has the plastic/nylon vise jaws.  I started to mention this in my initial post that you can purchase nylon protective covers for pliers/clamps from Craftsman and other tool suppliers. I think I may have seen some at Harbor Freight. These nylon protectors make getting a grip with the tool slippery (is that a word). However Ive found the leverage in this 8 inch modle to be excellent with my grip strength and no scratching/bendinding of the shaft. Heck you could put a small piece of blue shop towel to protect the shaft. Its worked on my small baitcasters (Daiwa: Coastal 153H/Luna 203) to my larger conventionals (Shimano Torium 20, and I think on TLD STAR 15/30 and 20/40).  Ive also used them on those long pins on spinners effortlessly. Only approximately $11 and less than 5 minutes with a Dremel tool and file for touch-up.

Leo

steelfish

since this is an old thread, how are this pliers working for you?

Im debating between getting some of the boca pin pliers or make mine

I really like the pin soldered on the upper jaw on the boca pliers to help to get the shaft pin out.
have anyone find a way to do something like that on DIY
The Baja Guy

LTM

Quote from: steelfish on April 23, 2015, 12:45:54 AM

I really like the pin soldered on the upper jaw on the boca pliers to help to get the shaft pin out.
Steelfish,

These have been working great. The adjustable/locking jaw works great for varying the amount of force. If I need to make sure I dont scratch the spool shaft I use Gorilla tape on them. The two small pieces of the lower jaw seem to give adequate support to the spool shaft as well. If you have an old pair of slip joint pliers try it out. As Alan T says about his vise grip pliers that he modded and uses: "simple and cheap and gets the job done".  If you do this report back and let me know what you think.

Nothing fancy, 

Leo

Reel 224

Quote from: LTM on April 23, 2015, 01:01:49 AM
Quote from: steelfish on April 23, 2015, 12:45:54 AM

Steelfish,

These have been working great. The adjustable/locking jaw works great for varying the amount of force. If I need to make sure I dont scratch the spool shaft I use Gorilla tape on them. The two small pieces of the lower jaw seem to give adequate support to the spool shaft as well. If you have an old pair of slip joint pliers try it out. As Alan T says about his vise grip pliers that he modded and uses: "simple and cheap and gets the job done".  If you do this report back and let me know what you think.

Nothing fancy, 

Leo

Leo: A quick question. Do you think drilling a slight counter in the upper jaw would help with aligning the pin for center pressure? That is a great idea that you came up with!
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

LTM

I dont understand what a counter is first-off. However, Ive not had any pin alignment/slipping issues to date, The jaws have grooves (for gripping) that I line-up the pins in and Im careful when using it. Maybe something extra would be good. Id like to see what you have in mind. This tool comes from the great mind of my reel mentor Pete (Just Fishing, Redondo Bch, CA) who uses a larger set of Snap On adjustable pliers without the locking mechanism. For my reels this size works great. If I needed more leverage and adjustment; a separate larger wrench would be best instead of trying to use a larger one on my smaller size reels/needs.

Leo

PS Check out Alan T's post on his Vise Grip mod (dont know where it is), because if THE BOSS has been using his on THOUSANDS of reels IT MUST WORK PRETTY GOOD (even on EXPENSIVE reels). Especially if you have an old rusted pair of either of these types of pliers laying around. I just dont understand the need for the HH tool unless you want a "COOL LOOKING TOOL."