Inside the Lexa 300

Started by flyforfish21, July 29, 2012, 11:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

this does help, and you english is excellent!  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

philaroman

Quote from: Tim McNeely on August 23, 2012, 05:31:56 PM
I'm pretty amused at all these new-generation lo-pro reels claiming to pull 20#+ of drag. I'm sure they will...once  :-\

I'm sure this type of reel can generate prolonged drag pressure over 20# for countless runs over many years, if used & serviced correctly...  it's not a winch; it's not intended to "pull" anything beyond several pounds of resistance (esp., not the high-speed models); you're supposed to move/"pull" the fish w/ your rod -- NOT, your gears!!!

fisher480

Correct me if I am wrong but the reel doesn't need a pinion bearing as it has the bearing on the spool behind the pin. I have been thinking about either a Curado 300 or Lexa 300. I have all Shimano baitcasters and have had some issues with other Daiwa baitcasters so I'm a little gun shy of the Lexa. Great tutorial anyway.

LTM

Thanx for the post. Can someone take a picture or tell me how this reel compares size wise to something else?

Thanx,

Leo

MarkT

I serviced a Lexa 300 for my sons friend yesterday. The right spool bearing was frozen.  I got it free and got some reelx into it.  It's much better now. Handle was sticking at times so I put some grease in a few places including the level wind which seems to have cured it.  He'll need to get that bearing replaced.

I worked on my 300hs-p tonight. It's been fished a lot in the the past 15 months since I got it. I had noticed the gear sleeve was corroded to the gear shaft when I had it open a couple of weeks ago.  I had a b*ch getting it free. Cleaned it up with some Emery cloth, greased it up and it's ready to go again. There was rust in the anti-reverse bearing that I cleaned up too. What prompted the service a couple of weeks ago was that the thumb bar to release the spool was often sticking and wouldn't work.  Salt and gunk had accumulated where it slides, some cleaning and grease solved that.  I told my son that if he's not going to clean my stuff after use that he'll just have to ruin his own gear!

Btw, A Trinidad handle fits on the 400 pretty well. My 400hs has the twin paddle handle and I wanted to try a power handle. It handled a couple of YT just fine last weekend with the stock paddles.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bryan Young

Does the Lexa's level wind guide in sync with the line when casting or does it stay stationary?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MarkT

Stationary.  It's a non-synchronized level-wind.

Bryan Young

:(  I guess my best option would be Daiwa's Tatula reels then.  Thanks.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MarkT

You're looking for a synchronized level wind in a low profile reel? The Tatulas don't offer that.  The Abu NaCl have a synchronized level wind.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 30, 2014, 08:39:52 PM
:(  I guess my best option would be Daiwa's Tatula reels then.  Thanks.

As above Abu Revo NaCl has synced LW mechanism as well as Okuma Komodo.

The Okuma has stainless internals as well as all metal frame and side plates. The Abu is a little smoother and better line capacity. Both excellent and worthy as is the Lexa 300/400.

Reel 224

Quote from: Bucktail on July 30, 2012, 02:04:46 PM
Thanks.  I was looking at those.  I have a Curado 300 now and I love it for almost everything inshore.  Was thinking about getting the new Daiwa or the Abu Revo Toro NaCl.  Anybody know how those magnetic backlash controls hold up in saltwater?

Bob I fished with them for many years and with normal service Ive had no problems. I wish Canyon had that selection. The one I bought from you for Ruth definitely isn't working for her, so it's mine and she is getting a new Abu. Once you get used to casting with the mag assist you will find yourself using less and less mag. 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."