SLR-30 Drag

Started by skip, July 31, 2012, 03:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip

I've got three Okuma SLR-30 single speeds that I purchased to compliment my TLD25s....main reason for going for the SLR30 was the additional line capacity over the TLD, the positive reviews on these new gen reels from Okuma following their Tiburon collaboration and also the price being offered by the local distributor. My buddy has another three and both of us have noticed inconsistencies between the reels.....out of 6 perhaps only two are smooth, no jerky drags and a fairly progressive drag cam curve (if that makes sense) the others I've found to be jerky and the drags seem to be either on or off and very snatchy when you increase drag pressure.

Now I know that Alan and various guys here always recommend that ideally one opens and strips down a new reel, gives it the 'treatment' of grease on the interior parts, sorts out the bearings packing properly with grease or oil, and gives the drag a once over with Cal's grease.......we did this on one of the snatchy reels and it definately made a world of difference (pity they can't all be like this out of the box). In comparison never had this problem with my TLD25's, though I did dump their ridiculous handle for an offset one.

How does one get a progressive drag curve so that the drag comes in smoothly up to strike and full moon?

Bryan Young

There are a few things that affect the ramp rate of the drag curve.  They are the belleville washers and cam for the most part.  It comes down to playing with either or both, but will start with the Belleville configuration first.  Use ()() instead of (()) for example.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

skip

Bryan,

Thanks for your response. I've read about playing with the layout of the Belleville's before on the various tutorials that Alan has done over the years, but I'm a bit lost when you mentioned CAM.....how does one go about adjust the cam?

boghy

I would take out the cam from the reel that works well and install in one of the reels that gives you issues. If acts the same, then the belleville settings are different, if not - meaning the cam fixed the problem - call okuma and have them ship you new cams. These cams are molded, so manufacturing malfunctions do occur.
Don't like my post? Click on the banner below and call me!

Try my self-coded Line Calculator - for line conversions and topshot

Bryan Young

Quote from: skip on July 31, 2012, 04:05:47 PM
Bryan,

Thanks for your response. I've read about playing with the layout of the Belleville's before on the various tutorials that Alan has done over the years, but I'm a bit lost when you mentioned CAM.....how does one go about adjust the cam?
The CAM is that metal thingy under your present knob
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D