lubricants

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Cal's grease can be used on gears. If you only have one grease available, Cal's can be used throught your reel.  It's just expensive and that is why marine grease is used elsewhere due to the number of reels that Alan does.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ReelSpeed

I actually had the idea today while inside of Kragen Auto.. they have this little display with lucas oil additive and you turn gears and it runs waaayyy smoother..  it would be cool stuff to use, but you would have to have an enclosed gear system.. otherwise you would end up with oil all over your reel..not good!  ;D ;D
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

Bryan Young

That what it looks like when I use the Evinrude Triple Guard grease plus CorrosionX.  That is why I like it.  It reminds me of the Lucas gear lub additive.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Has anyone used the CLP BREAK-FREE lubricant?
It was recommended  to me by a friend to use on my fishing reels. I purchased one  4oz. bottle a little while ago and used it on a couple of frozen handle knobs, the results were amazing! I was wondering if anyone used this product on bearings and other reel parts. Here are some of the specs. Thanks!

Break-Free CLP Performance Gun Care Products meet the U.S. Military specifications for use on weapons and weapon systems. The U.S. Military, NATO, and over 30 militaries around the world choose to use this all-in-one cleaner, lubricant, and preservative to keep their weapons combat ready and dependable in battle under any conditions. Break-Free CLP passes over 14 U.S. Army and NATO performance tests that include baking to 150 degrees Fahrenheit and freezing to minus 40 degrees Fahrenheit, sea-water immersion tests, and intensive, extended firing tests.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akfish

What's the deal with Cal's Light Grease? Is it better for drag washers? Preferred for gears? Does anyone know??
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

it stays softer in cold weather environs, like alaska!!!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nuvole

Okay this is a noob question. Do those tube of grease fit into the glue gun, or you squeeze them into the glue gun w/o the paper canister? I've just squeeze a tube of quicksliver 2-4-C into my glue gun, now having the feel that I've done it wrongly. 

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Nuvole on June 16, 2011, 04:53:05 PM
Okay this is a noob question. Do those tube of grease fit into the glue gun, or you squeeze them into the glue gun w/o the paper canister? I've just squeeze a tube of quicksliver 2-4-C into my glue gun, now having the feel that I've done it wrongly. 
I'm not sure about using a glue gun. ???
I believe the Johnson-Evinrude marine grease comes in a 3 ounce tube but others have reported it's very "sticky". I haven't tried it. The Yamaha Marine grease only comes in a 14 ounce tube so you will have to transfer it to a smaller gun if you want convenience. And yes, most small guns need a grease cartridge inside to seal and work properly. I found the WalMart brand GP grease comes in a plastic cartridge so it's pretty easy (and cheap! ;D ) to clean out before putting it in the gun and loading it with Yamaha Marine.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: alantani on February 13, 2011, 08:53:22 PM
it stays softer in cold weather environs, like alaska!!!!!!!!
;D
And they advertise it's good as a general lube for smaller mechanisms like spinning reels. Got some, just started using it, still using the tan Cal's as my primary drag grease.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Dominick

And it tastes better than blubber ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

tjbjornsen

Quote from: alantani on September 15, 2010, 07:25:22 PM
greases and oils - an update (9/14/2010)

and finally, there is tsi 301.  jim nomura has been working with me for the last half a year.  he is an engineer and brought a level of engineering expertise that was sorely missing in this little hobby endeavor of mine.  one thing he brought in was tsi 301.  i'm guessing that the freespool from reel treated with tsi 301 is perhaps 80% that of a reel treated with xtreme reel +.  the big advantage of  tsi 301 is that it lasts much longer.  i believe that we are looking at 6 to 12 months of great freespool for tsi 301 versus 1-2 weeks for xtreme reel +.  this puts the performance on a par with the other superlubes mentioned above, but at a half to a quarter of the price of the superlubes.   i've been using it for the last 6 months now (as of 9/2010) and have been very, very, impressed.  the downside?  it's $20 plus shipping, it is only available on line, and shipping is slow as molassas. 

Alan,
It is now about a year since this post that included the TSI 301.
Any new opinions?
Thanks,
And Thanks in advance for all of the knowledge that you put out there!
TjB

alantani

tsi 301 is great stuff.  i'm sticking with it. 

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on August 07, 2011, 10:58:44 PM
tsi 301 is great stuff.  i'm sticking with it. 

Me too! ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

i'll bet this would work in a pinch!

Alan,

Take a look on Grainger's website.  They are selling a tube of  PTFE grease for $18.53  (grainger number 4TA91) that might be useful. "Premium PTFE Food Grade Grease, Container Size 14 oz Cartridge, Size/Net Weight 14 oz, Temp Range -5 to 400 F, Color White, NLGI Grade 2, Flash Point 200 F, PTFE Base, Film Type Semi-Solid to Solid Grease, Specific Gravity 0.89 @25 Degrees C"

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/TRIFLOW-Premium-PTFE-Food-Grade-Grease-4TA91?Pid=search

Great forum, by the way.

Thanks for any info,

Steve

alantani