lubricants

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Quote from: handi2 on February 05, 2016, 01:31:33 AM
At $45.00 a can its expensive too. I use it occasionally. Its a great penetrating oil.
What's $45 a can?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tiddlerbasher

If you need a plastic safe solvent/oil mix IPA and 321 - 80% IPA and 20% 321 works just like 301 ;)

exp2000

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on February 05, 2016, 10:13:26 AM
If you need a plastic safe solvent/oil mix IPA and 321 - 80% IPA and 20% 321 works just like 301 ;)

X2

oc1

The more I use TSI 321 on small baitcasting reels the less I like it.  I'm sure TSI 321 does everything it is advertised to do and more.  Adheres to metal, long term corrosion protection, etc.  But, it bogs down the spool shaft bearings and reduces distance.  I don't know if the viscosity it too high, the adhesion to metal makes it sticky, or what.  It works fine everywhere except the spool bearings. I like Reel-X better for the spool bearings.  Have not yet tried Hot Sauce or one of those yet but read somewhere here that it may not last as long. 

Longevity is the other issue for me (besides distance).  After applying Reel-X there is a loss of performance for a few minutes.  After casting for a while performance increases, plateaus, then eventually performance drops off again and it is time to lubricate.  I don't know what causes that initial loss of performance.  I use as little oil as possible but maybe there is still too much excess initially.

With TSI 321 the initial loss of performance is way too long (many hours of casting), but the plateau is also long.  With Reel-X it only takes a few minutes to "brake in" or "spin out" or whatever, and the plateau will last for something like six to eight hours of casting.  For me that's three to four outings of a few hours each.  Hot sauce.... don't know yet.  For a trolling reel, infrequent use or long term storage TSI 321 is probably the way to go.  But perhaps there is a better option for small plastic reels that are used every day or so.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

Mix the 321 with IPA, as per the previous post, apply ONE drop to a spool bearing. The results will last a season! Been there done that ;) Still happy with the results ;D

Fish-aholic

Quote from: oc1 on February 05, 2016, 09:25:16 PM
The more I use TSI 321 on small baitcasting reels the less I like it.  I'm sure TSI 321 does everything it is advertised to do and more.  Adheres to metal, long term corrosion protection, etc.  But, it bogs down the spool shaft bearings and reduces distance.  I don't know if the viscosity it too high, the adhesion to metal makes it sticky, or what.  It works fine everywhere except the spool bearings. I like Reel-X better for the spool bearings.  Have not yet tried Hot Sauce or one of those yet but read somewhere here that it may not last as long. 

Longevity is the other issue for me (besides distance).  After applying Reel-X there is a loss of performance for a few minutes.  After casting for a while performance increases, plateaus, then eventually performance drops off again and it is time to lubricate.  I don't know what causes that initial loss of performance.  I use as little oil as possible but maybe there is still too much excess initially.

With TSI 321 the initial loss of performance is way too long (many hours of casting), but the plateau is also long.  With Reel-X it only takes a few minutes to "brake in" or "spin out" or whatever, and the plateau will last for something like six to eight hours of casting.  For me that's three to four outings of a few hours each.  Hot sauce.... don't know yet.  For a trolling reel, infrequent use or long term storage TSI 321 is probably the way to go.  But perhaps there is a better option for small plastic reels that are used every day or so.
-steve

TSI 321 is a extremely low viscosity grade oil and is very slick. In my needle applicator bottle it runs like water. You should be experiencing great, sustainable freespool times with the product. ReelX is higher in viscosity than the aforementioned, so if pitted against TSI, it will have inferior spool spin times.

When I lube with TSI 321 (shields removed and binned), I gently blow out all excess oil with a can of compressed air to leave a mere skin behind. As a long distance surfcaster who used to rigorously pull my spool bearings to clean and re lubricate after 100 or so casts (5-6 outings) due to the reel suffering a loss in freespool - or increase in bearing noise - I am now lubricating once a season with TSI without contamination.

I have never seen TSI turn sticky, either. The viscosity operational range (temp) is that wide, outdoor temperatures will not be a factor like it can be with other oils (thin/thicken).

Not sure what's going on with your reel, but it sounds like it needs further investigating, not the choice of oil. :-\

Steve.

jamesbay

for my use which would be just servicing my reels and couple of friends reels should i go with 301 or 321 for bearing servicing? dose 321 also give you the corrosion resistance that 301 gives? looking for the best option to use on all my bearings but in particular my spool bearings in my baitcasters which i use in saltwater as well as all my spinners and conventionals. thanks

johndtuttle

Quote from: oc1 on February 05, 2016, 09:25:16 PM

-steve

Probably excess application of TSI 321 would be my first thought with a longer time before it leaves behind just enough to do the job?

One advantage of 301 is that it leaves that ideal thin layer behind.

Regardless, Reel-X is great stuff too and I use it without reservation. I honestly don't concern myself with ultimate speed. I cast straight braid and often slowing down the reel is needed.

johndtuttle

Quote from: jamesbay on February 06, 2016, 01:06:47 AM
for my use which would be just servicing my reels and couple of friends reels should i go with 301 or 321 for bearing servicing? dose 321 also give you the corrosion resistance that 301 gives? looking for the best option to use on all my bearings but in particular my spool bearings in my baitcasters which i use in saltwater as well as all my spinners and conventionals. thanks

301: Contains a solvent not plastic safe. Leaves behind the ideal thin coat of TSI. Probably best only for bearings so the solvent doesn't get where you *don't* want it.

321: Just lube. Ideal for anywhere in the reel.

exp2000

TSI301 is 1 part TSI321 to eight parts powerful solvent.

The purpose of the solvent is to remove any traces of old lubricants to expose clean bare metal so the Barium compound can bond directly to it.

You can duplicate the 301 product by adding 1 part 321 to 8 parts Isopropyl Alcohol. IPA is not quite so aggressive as the original solvent but it evaporates cleanly.

Currently I am experimenting with slightly richer dilutions.

Some people may mistake TSI for "oil". It isn't. It's more like paint in it's application.

I do not use it in drive bearings as it has similar properties to Teflon so grease will not adhere to treated surfaces - it just sides off it.

In these, I pump a light Corrosion X grease mix inside, completely filling the bearing.
~

oc1

I'm must be applying too much then.  The Reel-X came in a small bottle with a small tip. The TSI 321 came in a larger bottle with a larger opening in the tip.  Guess I'm not controlling the amount well enough.  Will try it again but with a syringe this time.

A reel was accidentally dunked today and that is a good excuse to clean and lube it tomorrow.  I soak the bearings in acetone and then put them on a dowel and roll the bearing under pressure in acetone (pressing the dowel against the side of the container of acetone and rolling it back and forth).  Seems to get everything out and the acetone that is not blotted away on a towel evaporates quickly.

Cutting the TSI 321 with isopropyl sounds interesting.  The isopropyl (91% from the pharmacy) might screw up the finish but it seems like the composite frame and hard plastic parts would be OK. No? One advantage of an inexpensive plastic Korean baitcaster is there are not very many things to corrode.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

I only use 99% IPA to cut the 321 - 8 parts to 2 parts. One drop of that on a spool bearing does the trick. ReelX is very good but doesn't seem to last very long :(

oc1

Thank you.  I'll look for 99% locally.  Can't order it on line because it can only be shipped over land or by sea.  Too flammable to be put on a plane.
-steve 

exp2000

Quote from: oc1 on February 06, 2016, 08:37:40 AM

Cutting the TSI 321 with isopropyl sounds interesting.  The isopropyl (91% from the pharmacy) might screw up the finish but it seems like the composite frame and hard plastic parts would be OK. No? One advantage of an inexpensive plastic Korean baitcaster is there are not very many things to corrode.
-steve

The main impurity in IPA is water. The higher the purity the better. Yes 99% is about as pure as you can get.
~

sdlehr

You can get 91% isopropyl alcohol (to me IPA is something you drink on a hot afternoon) at most drug stores. It's also available more commonly as 75% isopropyl alcohol.
Quote from: exp2000 on February 06, 2016, 11:55:44 AM
The main impurity in IPA is water. The higher the purity the better. Yes 99% is about as pure as you can get.
~
I would also think about adding other organic solvents to TSI-321 - acetone, and mineral spirits come to mind - almost any organic solvent will work to thin out the 321 and dissolve gunk.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector