lubricants

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

Sid - The main advantage of IPA is that it doesn't attack plastics and is relatively non-toxic - Acetone will, the quality of mineral spirits is vary variable. Other well known solvents like Trichlor are very volatile and toxic :( (in the UK it's almost impossible to buy retail).

sdlehr

IPA=India Pale Ale and it won't dissolve plastic :) Acetone is pretty safe with most plastics, but to be sure there are organic solvents that aren't plastic-safe. If you're going to add a solvent to your TSI-321 to clean bearings I'm not worried about plastics. Just make sure to rinse it out and oil lightly when finished.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

exp2000

I use Shellite as a solvent for a general purpose mix - its cheap and is a better grease solvent than acetone and will not affect plastics.

But for bearings you must be cautious of residual contamination. You  need something that leaves absolutely no residue - especially where spool bearings in the likes of baitcasters are concerned.

99% IPA is the safest option here although you could use acetone as an alternative.
~

oc1

I put a drop of TSI 321 and a drop of Reel-X on a piece of glass but the volume of the two looked about the same so that probably was not the problem.  The reel (Lew's BB1) was cracked open, everything put through the sonic cleaner with Simple Green and the three spool bearings flushed with acetone.  Putting it back together I was trying to be as stingy as possible with the grease (blue Yamaha) and TSI 321.  Put one drop of TSI 321 on each bearing as before.  Then it hit me.  I had been putting one or two drops on the shims wear plates at each end of the spool shaft in the left side plate and in the right-side cast control knob.  The wear plates are some sort of fine woven fabric impregnated with some sort of hard resin and serve the same purpose as the familiar square copper shims that you have seen in a ABU.  They have never shown any sign of wear or dimple but since they are touching the ends of the spool shaft I figured they had to have some oil.  But, it may have created a little oil reservoir that kept the bearings too wet.  The wear plates were left dry this time.  The reel was cast for a while to dial in the brakes and it is doing about 46 measured yards with a 3/8 oz. jig.  That is as much as I can hope for.  Thank you all for your help.

Oh... and the isopropyl.  I had never considered using isopropyl with reel maintenance until you guys mentioned it.  After putting everything in a little sonic cleaner with Simple Green I rinse with water, shake off the excess and dry with a hot air gun turned down to the minimum temperature (its barely warm).  This time everything was rinsed with 91%isopropyl after the water.  The isopropyl evaporated quickly leaving very little water that has to be died with the warm air gun.  It saved some time and there was no sign of residue.
-steve

ALASKAFISHMAN

Hi to everyone here.

I am new and this was the best board I have been able to find.  I am so happy to find this site.  I am trying to take all of this information and put it to use.  After reading the entire post I have to say that Alan is a reel "Master" and there are more than a few that have contributed greatly to this post.  So living where I do "Alaska" I have a few questions.  On any given year the temps that we fish are from 15 degrees at the coldest to 75 Fahrenheit at the warm end.  with most of it being 35-65 degrees.  should I use the purple or tan Cal's grease (drag disks, I have a friend that has some purple that he will give me)?  I have is on the Avet SX 6/4 MC Raptor.  It states on the material that it came with that these are "DRY" carbon fiber drags.  Should I even use grease on them?   And which general purpose grease should I use in the colder temps Yamaha or corrosion x grease?  I have the tsi 321 on the way, as well as the reel x oil.  If the tsi 321 is so good, can it be used everywhere in the reel that oil is needed?  or is there an issue with doing that.  I only have 8 conventional style reels so price is not as big of an issue to me.  It is more about having dependable equipment in good working order.  I service my reels once a year, two at the most.

Thanks for all the great information on this post, it has been a true pleasure to read...  Great Info...

Brent

Fish and hunt, Fish and hunt, eat, sleep fish and hunt, fish and hunt

RowdyW

Welcome Brent, as for greasing your drags I would use the Cal's purple. It will cover for your use at all those temps & higher & lower. Your choice on the grease whichever is easier to get.They both work great. If it is to thick just thin it slightly with ReelX. T S 321 can be used anywhere that you want to use oil. Cal's grease can be used on any carbon fiber drags in any reel. Now 8 reels is just a start. Hang around here & they will multiply like rabbits. :D     RUDY

cbar45

Hello and welcome Brent!

Sorry, I can't help you much with your drag grease situation; your warmest day on the water is probably one of the cooler ones for me.

Others will chime in with something more substantial, until then enjoy.

Chad

ALASKAFISHMAN

Thanks for the info.  And you are right, what I should have said is that I only use about 8 reel there are 20 more in the storage shed that I do not use any more.  Upgrade, upgrade, upgrade....  It seems never ending

Brent

foakes

Welcome aboard, Brent --

We have a couple of members on here who fish and live in Alaska -- plus Lee (Keta)who knows SE Alaska well.  They will chime in shortly, or tomorrow.  Bill is a professional tackle repair guy -- with a shop in Alaska.

Yamaha or Penn is good for the gears and internals, 321 for the oil places, Cal's purple for the drags, and if really cold conditions -- use a combo mix of purple and 321 on the bearings.

Service all of your reels, including the 20 in storage -- plus show us some pics.

An unserviced reel in storage is just a paperweight.

Enjoy the site -- and welcome!

Where do you live and fish in Alaska?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ALASKAFISHMAN

Thanks Fred.

I live on the Kenai peninsula.  All of my salt fishing is out of Homer and Seward or in the gulf between the two.  I am at work right now, so no way to download any Pics.  But this seems to be the place to get good advice on reels.  Most of our salt water is for Halibut, ling cod, rock fish and a little winter king fishing too. The reels I have in storage are older models I keep them for loaners or if I take a kid out and he really likes it I will toss him/her a old set up, it makes them smile and helps get them into the sport.  Win, Win..

RowdyW

Quote from: foakes on February 20, 2016, 08:01:06 AM
Welcome aboard, Brent --

We have a couple of members on here who fish and live in Alaska -- plus Lee (Keta)who knows SE Alaska well.  They will chime in shortly, or tomorrow.  Bill is a professional tackle repair guy -- with a shop in Alaska.

Yamaha or Penn is good for the gears and internals, 321 for the oil places, Cal's purple for the drags, and if really cold conditions -- use a combo mix of purple and 321 on the bearings.

Service all of your reels, including the 20 in storage -- plus show us some pics.

An unserviced reel in storage is just a paperweight.

Enjoy the site -- and welcome!

Where do you live and fish in Alaska?

Best,

Fred
Didn't I just say that ??

ALASKAFISHMAN

Hey the more people say the same thing the more weight it carrys.

akfish

Hi Brent -- And welcome to the board. As someone mentioned, I too live in Alaska and run a reel repair shop, Taku Reel Repair, out of Juneau. Don't hesitate to contact me for any help or advice. (907 789 2448)

As for drag grease: I tried Cal's purple for a while but decided that the tan stuff was fine. I suppose if you are fishing in the winter extensively, purple might be better -- but none of my customers who fish winter kings have mentioned anything negative about their drags, and all have been serviced with Cal's tan grease.

I always grease Avet drags. Avet doesn't recommend it but I find that greased drags are smoother and offer considerable help against corrosion. Just remember to apply only a very light coating of Cals on lever drag washers.

Tight Lines,

Bill
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

ALASKAFISHMAN

Thanks Bill,

If I have any problems I will call...

Brent

DavidKa

Just a tiny update on my personal experience with ReelX grease-oil.
Old Daiwa Certate, Shimano Exsence (09 twonpower MG) - all good, smooth and silent. Medium grease for main gear, soft grease for worm gear area, oil for shaft.
12 Vanquish waiting for his turn, feels very "dry" to me...