lubricants

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I'm currently using the Okuma Cal's...it looks like Cal's...smells like Cal's...and Ted says it tastes like Cal's too! :D ;D ;) 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

RowdyW

I've been using Dupont Marine Waterproof Grease sometimes in place of Cal's. I haven't noticed any differance between either of them. I've been using it for over 3 years now & it seems the same as Cal's. The color is just slightly lighter then Cal's. The cost for a 16 oz. can was $7 & change + s&h. I sent some to Sal a couple of years ago and I'm still waiting for his opinion of it.(hint hint). ;D             Rudy

Smude442

Understood and thank you for the quick responses Dave, Fred, Mo65, and Rudy!  I really think I'm going to like this place...
22 year member of Uncle Sam's Confused Group!

ez2cdave

Quote from: Smude442 on February 24, 2017, 05:26:54 AMI just looked it up online to see if there was any placed that sold it up here in Alaska, and the only thing I could find was Okuma Cal's universal grease.

Just want to make sure I buy the right stuff.
Thanks again!!

Adam in Alaska

Adam,

If you can't find a local dealer for Cal's in Alaska . . . Never fear, EBAY is here !!!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Fishing/1492/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=cals+grease+drag&_sop=15

Tight Lines !

El Guapo

Hi all,

Buddy asked me to check his reel out..Daiwa SL50SH that has issues with the handle. Decided to give it a look and whilst i was at it decided to experiment with his reel. Not recommended that this be the norm but since i was not charging him and i don't receive income from reel servicing i thought i will satisfy my curiosity lol.

Checked the handle out and found the nut was not properly tightened and problem quickly solved. Now he just asked me to check the handle out  ;D. Staring at the reel i thought i have time on my hands and so decided to strip the entire reel as i could feel the reel was not in good shape after a free spool spin. Removed the left side spool and removed the shield from the bearing. Soaked the bearing in battery acid to remove the old grease  :o. That didn't impress me as the old grease in the bearing was pretty much there still and i had no lighter fluid or something else to remove old grease. Then sprayed the bearing after i dried it with Wurth Multi. Greased the rest of the l/s plate and set it one side. Removed old grease (thin layer) from spool shaft and give it a spray with the Wurth Multi and set spool aside.

Started with the right side plate removing the handle and washers etc until i got to the gear box. What a sight!! Old grease slapped thick on pinion and drive gear. Bearings full of sand and rusty but still given a clean in car battery acid and shields removed. Removed all the old grease that was green in colour?? Put some new fresh grease on inside of plate and regreased washers. Gave the drive gear a spray of Wurth Multi as well as the pinion. No grease. Put the reel back together. Received a what sup message from buddy who went to test cast the reel and cannot repeat message he sent me except to say he was one happy chappy. Not really advisable i know but the product and i don't work for them or owe them anything really is corrosion resistant and i will after a while inform him the reel needs some extra grease where there is not. Pic of the multi.

also interested in the Wurth hhs2000 that is a grease in solvent form..sprayed out when the solvent evaporates you left with the grease so can reach tight places.

as added extra i see some guys like to polish the pinion.. i have used 3M Perfect It Rubbing Compound along with my dremel + ear bud at 20 000 rpm's to polish my reel pinions.. good stuff.

Regards..

steelheadtom

Alan...I have a group of old school Shimano Bantam Mag 200 SG' s that I use for winter steelhead fishing here in NorCal...including 2 Bantam MagCast that I am told were manufactured solely for the Japanese market...even though these reels are in exceptional condition considering their age, I upgrade the drag washers to Carbon Fiber, and the bearings to Boca ABEC 7 Orange Seal, where possible....my question is, what oil and grease would you recommend for these reels? Boca sells their own label of bearing oil....A lot of guys swear by Quantum Hot Sauce, as well as Ardent products.....What would you recommend?

wfjord

I'm a new member and after reading extensively on the forums here, I have switched over to a moderate coating of blue Yamaha marine grease for most everything but the drag washers and bearings on my Shimano Bantams. The blue grease seems to stay in place nicely and hasn't migrated down into the bottom of the pinion gear. I'm using Cal's drag grease on the cf drag washer upgrades.   

So far I've lubed the bearings and inside the pinion on two Bantam SGs with TSI321 and did the same to the bushings and pinion on another Bantam SG.  There was a huge improvement in casting distance on all three reels. And the one with the bushings is now casting equally as well as the two with bearings.

Johnj67

has anybody ever used super slick slick stuff, or for grease just a general purpose heavy duty grease or red n tacky....are these just not good to use

RowdyW

Quote from: Johnj67 on April 22, 2017, 05:03:24 PM
has anybody ever used super slick slick stuff, or for grease just a general purpose heavy duty grease or red n tacky....are these just not good to use
You don't want heavy sticky greases or tacky greases. Just look for Marine greases like most outboard dealers stock. Not the heavy wheel bearing & axle greases. Check the outboard dealers like Yamaha which most on here use or Mercury, Evenrude, etc. One tube will last a long time.

mizmo67

Quote from: mo65 on February 24, 2017, 06:44:01 PM
   I'm currently using the Okuma Cal's...it looks like Cal's...smells like Cal's...and Ted says it tastes like Cal's too! :D ;D ;) 8)

LOL why was Ted tasting it?
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

ez2cdave

Quote from: mizmo67 on April 22, 2017, 08:31:39 PMLOL why was Ted tasting it?

Survival training for the Zombie Apocalypse . . .

Rickb

Well I did a taste test, and the flavor Is similar to grease from mesquite/hickory smoked bacon !! ;D
Yamalubes color was a turn off so didn't try it..

Tiddlerbasher

Does the madness never end ;D

RowdyW

Quote from: Rickb on April 24, 2017, 03:08:59 AM

Yamalubes color was a turn off so didn't try it..
Yamaha makes different lubes for different purposes. You need to get the Yamaha Marine grease which is a shade of blue. It is labeled "Marine" grease.

ez2cdave