lubricants

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cost_spin and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Shark Hunter

Members here make them. Keta aka Lee makes the "Keta Kranks" and 'Adams arms' are made by Seven se7ens.
Life is Good!

Igor Peric

Because it is difficult to find a Yamaha blue grease (only white used in the official Yamaha Service) i found some alternatives - Quicksilver dark blue grease proved to be the best of those that i can find on the market...Is anyone using?

Quicksilver (Mercury marine) grease -black packaging

on the gears

Shark Hunter

Considering your location Igor, I say it will do fine. I only use penn Blue and Cal's for the drags.
Life is Good!

jonnou

I am leaning to INOX because of geography and availability
TSi321 simplicty is key or you will have 20 tubes on the shelf ;)

egarratt14

Yamaha Grease in San Diego.  Where can I purchase it?

alantani

i talked to the guy there a couple of years ago and he was telling me that their sales started going up and they didn't know why.  they eventually traced it back to us.  that was actually quite a compliment!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

you could drill out the old grip and bolt on a new one, but you would still be stuck with the same arm.  not much help......  :-\

nelz

Is there a thread here that shows pics of how your bearing packer brass cones work? I seem to be missing the concept...

Ruffy

Sorry if I missed it Alan but how do you feel about the stock Shimano oil? Was just having a look through my old reel boxes and I have quite the collection; it would save me buying INOX for some time.

alantani

it's probably ok.  funny thing about the tsi 301 and 321.  the stuff really is better.  i was more cautious about saying that without knowing what was inside, but it's been 5 years now and reels are still spinning.  i think it's worth the extra cost.

alantani

i spoke to a guy at the company and he told me that the us secret service uses this stuff.

trond_solem

I got some Weldtite TF2 high temperature teflon grease. It's meant for use on bikes.  Water repellant and surface protector.

Used it on the drags on my #49 reel with hex inserts. Seems to be working great. Haven't had any fish dragging out line yet, but in my initial tests the line came off the spool in a sleek way when testing drag. Got a max drag of 29lb. I suppose that is more than the foot of the reel will handle. :)
It has steel gears and SS gear sleeve, so the failure point isn't in the internals.

I think this stuff is great if you can't get cal's grease.

Slazmo

Quote from: trond_solem on March 09, 2015, 09:00:11 PMI think this stuff is great if you can't get cal's grease.

I worked in a bike shop while I was at Uni and got given 3 tubes of that stuff, I used that TF2 in the past on a reel and and walked straight past it the second time it came to service. Just not a consistent lubricating grease the NLGI is too low and the grease isnt what I would call sticky enough for gears; great for bearings in a bike in wheels and bottom brackets / head tubes yes as its a fluid grease - working gears not really in my view.

How's it in drag stacks? I am not a fan of the bright red colour personally.

steelfish

this might have been asked before but I really cuoldnt found my exact question.

right now Im following step by step the normal "alan tani way" of servicing a reel, light coat of grease on metal parts, grease on bearing that arent spool bearings, 2 droops of oil on spool bearings and levelwinds assemblies, new drag and cal grease on them, tab of grease on screws, etc.

right now I am using Cals grease for every single of those jobs.. I have many small size recipients of cals grease and Im using it for light coat the metal parts, for new carbon fiber washers and also for grease non spool bearings.

now my exact question.

can I continue using cals grease on all this jobs or Im better getting some yamaha marine syn grease for everything except the drag washers which needs to be greased with cals grease?

Im not into a servicing and repair job and dont have any reel shop, so my current grease will be enough for many time for my own reels, but recently some of my friends are giving me their reels for service them and thats what brought me that question.

The Baja Guy

Tiddlerbasher

Cals grease is good for anything - but - apart from drags - its far cheaper to use a marine grease like yamaha or evinrude etc.