lubricants

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glos

I think the best lubricant is grease that has NLGI of 00 ( EP is even better )
that is the perfect viscosity with which you can fill up the reel and it does it all
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

Soren Bredberg

I know this is an old post but as a new member I am slowly going through all the posts. I use a reel repair business ( when lost ) here in Brisbane, Australia called D & H  reel repairs. Duncan ( the owner ) who is a bit of a whiz "kid" especially when it comes ABU Garcia Ambassadeur reels told me he uses lanolin based oils but what he uses for grease I have no idea. He also gave me a tip on how to get the spool on my Ambassadeur 6500C3 running faster without upgrading the bearings. He used a 3/8" drill bit ( I believe ) on the nylon gear end of the spool to make opening for the shaft a fraction larger. Holy mackerel what a change in spinning time. Personally I use baby grade vaseline on all my external metal parts and screws which seems to protect them well so far.

sdlehr

Quote from: privateone on May 03, 2017, 10:52:17 PM
Personally I use baby grade vaseline on all my external metal parts and screws which seems to protect them well so far.
Doesn't the handle grasp slip out of your hands? :)
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

PennDaddy

Do they still make the x treme reel + lube and if not any recommendations for a dry spool bearing lubricant?

exp2000

Quote from: PennDaddy on May 04, 2017, 07:06:17 PM
Do they still make the x treme reel + lube and if not any recommendations for a dry spool bearing lubricant?

TSI321 or TSI301 is what most folks here use.
~

handi2

I'm sure the Xtreme reel+ is no more. It was some amazing stuff..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

ez2cdave

Tight Lines !

Ryan2005

Hello everyone, I just recently found this site and all the information is awesome. I only fish freshwater and mainly use shimano reels. I have been servicing my reels for several years now with no problems but am looking fo advice on a couple of things. My biggest concern has always been the pinion bearing on what to do after cleaning it. I do not have a bearing packer (although I would love to have one)  currently I have been soaking them in Rocket Fuel liquid grease which seems to work pretty good. What is y'alls opinion of this?  I ordered some tsi321 will this be a better option for the pinion and handle bearing? Rather than the liquid grease.  Also all my reels have ceramic spool bearings which I use hedgehog anf zpi oil on. Will the tsi321 work better or should i use both. Not a fan of running them dry. Definitely plan on using the 321 on the worm gear seems like the best method I've seen to keep the grime out. Thanks any help is greatly appreciated

reelrepair123

maybe i'm out in left field, i haven't read all the postings on lubricants, iv'e been using penn blue grease, and penn oil and haven't had a problem, the oil really works great on losening stiff handle knobs,  i say why experiment or try to cut cost , lord knows we spend enough money on fishing and supplies, i personally think the penn lubes are great,  just my take on the matter.   harryk

Ryan2005

Once bearings are treated with tsi321 how do you clean them when you service the reel again? Or do you just reapply. Thanks

oc1

I use naphtha to dissolve the TSI away.  You can reapply unless it is collecting gunk.
-steve

Ling

Just serviced my reels for the SOA trip.  I don't have the money or time to find the "best" oil and grease, but have to say just follow the recommendations here and grease the corrosive surfaces with something and you will be several times better off.  As a start, that's going to give you a huge advantage on corrosion.  Fished my JX out of the box and had to deal with a few things a few years ago.  Followed the recommendations here with regular marine grease and no issues for the last couple of years.  My advice is to coat them with "something" and gain a huge advantage as long as you service them yearly.  Finding the best stuff out there may let you skip some service time on some parts and add extra insurance, but bottom line, the basic protection will give you a huge leg up.  Just my thoughts.

luislimonta

With regards to lubricants,my fishing is always saltwater and seldom use  conventional casting reels,my casting is done with spinning reels where free spool is of  no consecuence.Trollng,live bait,jigging and casting hard lures are may main fishing styles.I disassembled a reel and cleaned ball bearings with degreaser,water,pressured air and acetone the last to leave  the driest possible surface.Placed the bearing on a dowel (tight inner) and free rolled the bearing,it rolled for about 7 seconds.After placing a drop of TSI 321 and waiting so it would evaporate the bearing rolled a couple of times and stopped.This was repeated with other bearings with similar result.Since free spool is not that important to me I now treat my bearings  with TSI 321 first and pack them with Yamaha blue grease.I find this gives my bearings the best protection against salt water.As far as  liquid lubricants I still use TSI 321 and Daiwa Ultimate Tournament drag grease on the drags.The last a bit expensive coming from Japan,an alternative drag grease is a  product found on e-bay called Eel Slime,very similar to Daiwa's at a third of the price.
Well Pals thats my five cent worth,Love this site and your feedback.

Tiddlerbasher

Cal's drag grease is cheaper than Daiwa's and readily available from several places including Smoothdrag.
I am currently using Mercury Quick Silver 4-2-C (with Teflon) for everything including drags - It seems to be working very well.
TSI 321 for oil. A drop of CorrosionX for ARBs - some oils and greases can make them slip.

exp2000

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on August 06, 2017, 01:08:18 PM
Cal's drag grease is cheaper than Daiwa's and readily available from several places including Smoothdrag.
I am currently using Mercury Quick Silver 4-2-C (with Teflon) for everything including drags - It seems to be working very well.
TSI 321 for oil. A drop of CorrosionX for ARBs - some oils and greases can make them slip.

Hi Tiddlerbasher,

I use a similar overall approach.

A friend of mine who has been in the game forever, gave me some 2-4-C to try but I have a sensitive sniffer and I could not get past the smell.

Otherwise I might be using it myself.
~