lubricants

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on August 06, 2017, 01:08:18 PM
ARBs - some oils and greases can make them slip.

I hear lots of members talking about anti-reverse slipping with grease.   This applies to dogs also?   Does "slipping" mean that the anti-reverse is mechanically engaged, but becomes disengaged because of the grease?   Trying to visualize this...

Tiddlerbasher

With the silent Abu type dogs they sometimes can get hung-up if too much grease is used - I use just a light smear and don't get problems.
Never had a problem with spring operated dogs. If that helps clarify what I meant - Chris.

Shark Hunter

Too much grease in the dog area will lead to problems, keeping the dog from mechanically engaging.
It sticks to the plate or other mating surface it is riding on or against.
The Anti reverse bearings are another issue. They don't like a lot of lube. They need very small amounts of lubrication to keep them working properly.
Life is Good!

Lunker Larry

Roller brngs in the ARB have to be loose and a bit sloppy to work. Grease can prevent them from moving in the race and binding which engages the arb function
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

ez2cdave

Quote from: Lunker Larry on August 08, 2017, 01:12:09 PM
Roller brngs in the ARB have to be loose and a bit sloppy to work. Grease can prevent them from moving in the race and binding which engages the arb function

Personally, I would take strong, reliable, mechanical Dogs over IAR, all day, any day . . . I don't care if it's not "instant anti-reverse" or isn't "silent" !

Decker

Thanks, Larry.  I get it now.

johndtuttle

This IS true in particularly cold scenarios but for normal fishing conditions lighter greases are ideal for corrosion protection for clutches in saltwater applications depending on the make (never lube any Shimano spinning reel clutch).

Penn Grease works perfectly fine in other ARB (light) as long as temps don't get too close to freezing.

Accurate has long used Cal's cut with a little corrosion-x in their's.

I would never use grease to lube the clutch in a dedicated freshwater reel (in my neck of the woods that generally means high altitude and cold in spring and fall). A little Corrosion-x is more than fine as corrosion in freshwater is of minimal concern.

But in the salt, your favorite flavor maybe thinned a bit with oil is ideal, imo. Clutches get destroyed in one trip in the salt if not protected, if it gets wet and is not serviced for some time afterwards.

What you are really trying to protect is the **clutch sleeve** as they are typically some soft carbon steel with chrome plating and are the typical source of the origin of trouble. Be sure to lube it inside (where it is keyed to the shaft) and out (where it will have contact with the clutch rollers).

wfjord

I recently disassembled a friend's Shimano Sahara spinning reel to replace some parts, clean & lube it and the roller clutch assembly unit had "Do Not Oil" printed on it, so I didn't. He only uses it for freshwater so I didn't think further about it.

Noviceman

Hi...have read tons about corrosion x and reel x and believe corrosion x makes the reel x but my question is what is the difference between the 2???Thought one might be for saltwater reels and other for freshwater??    Manythanks for any info...

wfjord

Here's some info I've seen on it from another website and I believe it came from someone at U.S. Corrosion Technologies:

QuoteEverything that CorrosionX does – it's incomparable metal-on-metal lubrication, its ability to prevent rust and corrosion, the Polar Bonding that causes CorrosionX to penetrate (rust, powder fouling, primer salts, whatever) to reach the clean metal underneath – all of that comes into play in a firearm, which is why CorrosionX is the perfect product for firearms. ReelX does all that, but to the core CorrosionX formula we add an exotic EP (extreme pressure) additive that is activated by triboenergy (the heat energy of friction) to chemically modify metal and metal alloy wear surfaces. So basically, the more pressure you put on a wear surface, the slicker it gets. So as amazing of a lubricant as CorrosionX is, under high loads, ReelX is actually a half step better.

I got the larger spray bottle of CorrosionX because it is so highly regarded by so many on the alantani forums here and this is where I first found out about it.  I'm using it for various purposes including adding to Yamaha blue grease.  I also bought a small bottle of ReelX with the applicator tip just to try it, but I think for most of my reel maintenance needs the regular CorrosionX will do the job for me --plus, the ReelX is a lot more expensive.  CorrosionX really is good stuff (I used it on my lawn tractor yesterday to free up a corroded bolt that I thought I was going to have to cut off with a hacksaw).

Noviceman

thanks for info...have been using reel butter with no complaints but heard so much about the X products I thought I would investigate..

johndtuttle

Quote from: Noviceman on September 01, 2017, 06:24:21 PM
thanks for info...have been using reel butter with no complaints but heard so much about the X products I thought I would investigate..

Don't overthink it for freshwater. We spray our reels down with freshwater after a day in the salt and think it is wonderful stuff.

Ultimate simplicity for fresh and keep it nice and light like 3 in 1 for oil and reel butter for gears (or bearing grease lightened with oil).

Saltwater: Corrosion-x and marine grease plus Cal's for drags.

Noviceman

Thanks for the advise....learning lots on this site...

jackpine

Any opinions on Lucas Reel oil??

RowdyW

Any reel oil will work for general purpose. If you want a premium oil for bearings go for 321 synthetic lubricant.      Rudy