lubricants

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFisher

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on February 14, 2018, 05:04:20 PM
For thinning grease I use CorrosionX - I only really do this for small spinners where the grease maybe too thick
For TSI321 I thin with IPA (Isopropryl Alcohol 99% pure it doesn't attack plastics like some solvents) - 4 or 5 parts IPA to 1 part TSI321 - I only do this for spool bearings on a casting reel - otherwise I use it neat. It's also excellent on tool joints like pliers/cutters etc. Hope that helps - Chris.

IPA, Exactly what i was looking for!
Thanks.

Gobi King

FYI:
I bought these to cut TSI 321 with IPA,
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/shop-accessories-supplies/liquid-squeeze-bottles/needle-oiler-bottles-prod44434.aspx

the mix works well in just about everything, I am very impressed with it TSI.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

FFisher

johnD

Quote from: glos on May 03, 2017, 04:58:10 PM
I think the best lubricant is grease that has NLGI of 00 ( EP is even better )
that is the perfect viscosity with which you can fill up the reel and it does it all

Old post , I know but , you might like Maxima 80916. I've been using it with excellent results. Under $8 and it's blue.

http://www.maximausa.com/product/waterproof-grease/

HANOUK

I'm a bass angler.

How about using Triple-guard or 2-4-C on drive gear and pinion of baitcast reels?

Tiddlerbasher

If it's for freshwater only I would go with TSI321 on everything (cut the 321 with IPA for spool bearings)

nelz

Doesn't the IPA evaporate and stop diluting?

Gobi King

Quote from: wfjord on July 11, 2018, 04:50:58 PM
Quote from: nelz on July 11, 2018, 04:28:27 PM
Doesn't the IPA evaporate and stop diluting?

Yes, it evaporates and leaves a lighter coating of TSI on the bearings.

Also, the capillary action will be better for the thinner liquid to spread.
I going to apply a liberal amount to my honda ridgeline's rear diffy drain and fill bolts which are corroded frozen.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Karim_Eldardiry

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding quantum hot sauce grease, as you may know, the factory that supplied the grease had a fire accident and currently the product is no longer in production. I would like to know your recommendations on what other "Low Viscosity" grease to use instead of Quantum Hot Sauce Grease, until the product is back in the market. the reason I like the Quantum grease is that it is low viscosity so I can use it in bearing as well as small size spinners (1000 to 2500).

nelz

Welcome Karim to the reel addicts website.  ;D

I've used Abu Garcia reel grease in the past and it's very light, should fit your need. I'm sure the guys here will have plenty of other options though.

George6308

I'll stay with the Penn lubes. From the original Penn reel oil (remember the little green or blue tubes that came in the box) Spinfisher lube, original blue grease, Muscle Grease, XR-7, and the present oil and grease they have all worked to keep my reels in good repair. Break free CLP also get's use.

oc1

Hot Sauce is the most volatile oil I've used.  It will crawl out of the bottle if you let it.  It doesn't slow down the bearing at all, but it doesn't last very long either.  If you want to experiment you could try one of the spray "dry" lubes.  Most of it evaporates away leaving a thin layer of lubricant.

I have never tried mixing TSI with alcohol but will do so.  We read that TSI 310 is like TSI 321 mixed with a solvent.  We also read that TSI 310 is not safe to use with some plastics.  Isopropyl is safe with most plastics.  It seems like a hydrocarbon like naphtha might be better for diluting TSI 321 though because it would dissolve easier and not leave any water behind when it evaporates.  Might be worth trying that too.

-steve

Karim_Eldardiry

Thanks guys for the help. I will give Abu Grease a try. Currently I lube the bearings with Corrosion X, it protects the bearing but it might not be the best in terms of smoothness.
I've read on the forum here a lot about TSI lubes, and I'm thinking to give it a try as well.

Glos

Quote from: glos on May 03, 2017, 04:58:10 PM
I think the best lubricant is grease that has NLGI of 00 ( EP is even better )
that is the perfect viscosity with which you can fill up the reel and it does it all

no, just tried it on my 3 new okuma surf 8k-s
too runny - leaky..
one 0 is probably better, NLGI 0
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

snowmen70

Greetings to fellow hobbyists! Greases with PTFE SSL by Synco emulsify and seize when operating in a humid environment (rain!). The same tip about CalS lubrication - catching fish in the rain - the reel wedges. I drew attention to the ReelX Soft and Medium lubricant, but in the datasheet (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4JXOtP3XxetTERsSnIzT25QWk0/view) I did not see information about the content of PTFE in its composition. There is concern - how to behave when working in the rain! ?? Alan already exhausted his questions (difficulty of translation!) And I ask for help from everyone who has data on the presence of Teflon in its composition. Respectfully!
Аlen nobi nostra alis!