topless frame - shimano charter special tr 1000/2000 back in stock, jan 2018

Started by alantani, August 19, 2009, 06:32:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

new prices - $80 for the TR 1000 and $85 for the TR 2000 plus shipping!

well, here it is!  the topless frame for the shimano charter special by tom hrynuik.  the workmanship is beautiful.  i have frames for both the TR 1000 and TR 2000 models.  the great thing is that the charter special will deliver 15 pounds of drag with great freespool and no side load on the right main side plate bearing.  yup, it's an avet killer.  better even than the old shimano tld 5's and 10's.  load up the narrow TR 1000 with 50# spectra and a 30# topshot.  the wide spool TR 2000 can be loaded with 65# spectra and a 40# topshot.  add an oversized kolekar grip and you've got a pair of great live bait rigs.

with this run, there was one small problem.......

well, kudo's if you noticed it in the photos above.  yeah, the front crossbar is too high.  the top edge of the front cross bar is dead even with the top of the arbor of the spool.  on a winding machine, that is not a problem.  when the reel is on a rod, however, there is a slight downward angle taken by the line.  when you get to the bottom of the spool, the line hits the crossbar.  there are no sharp edges to slice through the line, but it is still not right.  of course, if you're hung on a big fish that takes you down that far, you've got bigger problems than the cross bar.  

we clamped this reel onto a calstar 270 and it took several wraps before there was enough height to clear the bar.  

well, not too bad for a first effort.  i bought all 25 of the TR1000's and 25 of the TR2000's and i'm going sell them at cost.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

the corrected versions will be in the $90-100 range.  these are $55 or $58, a really nice matching clamp is available for $10 and shipping is probably $5.  thanks!  alan

alantani

QuoteHi Alan, You helped me a while back with one of my old squidders and I appreciate it. I'm in the market for a newer reel and have considered the saltist 20 or avet sx....is the 1000 model of the charter special about the same size? And, would you recommend it over these other two reels? Because I can't afford a rod and reel for everything, I'm looking for the best all around set up. Most of my fishing is local (Ventura to Morro Bay), so I'm rock fishing, bass, etc. Also, what's the cost to upgrade the Charter? From what I can see on line, they come as a level wind, so this would all go away, right?  Thanks for the advice, Dennis

hi, dennis!  the goofed up frame for the charter special is $55 for the TR 1000 and $58 for the TR2000.  when the new ones come out at the end of the year, they will be $90-100.  still, it is not a cheap upgrade.  the carbontex washer is $10 (i have a cheaper one), the kolekar handle is $23 or $27 if you want one, and service is $40 (takes an hour).    the reel is midway in size between the sx and saltist 20, and i think it's far superior to both.  alan

alantani

QuoteDarn it I thought you set up a topless charter.....oh wait that might not be a good idea depending on who the topless part aims for.  Sorry....Not a bad looking set up. What is the price compared to the avet of equal veracity.

size wise, the charter specials are closer to the avet sx and mx.  in terms of drag range, they are closer to the jx and mx.

alantani

to order a frame, send me an e-mail with your name, address and phone # and i'll go ahead and send it out.  when it arrives, make sure it works and then send me a check.  for delivery in the US, shipping will be $6.  for international, figure $10.  it's probably a little low, but i don't care.  figure the costs will be $55 for a TR1000 frame, $58 for a TR2000 frame.  optional stuff includes $10 for a matching clamp, $10 for a carbontex drag washer, $26 for a 2/0 kolekar handle or $30 for a 4/0.  thanks!  alan

alantani

here's another option.  you can ship your reel to me for $5-7 via usps priority mail.  before you seal up the box, add a stamp from the post office for return shipping, a check for $55 or $58 and the fishing reel.  i'll install the new frame and return everything to you in the same box.  please note that this does not include a full service.  if you want me to go through the entire reel, it's an additional $40 plus parts.  switching out the frame takes 5 minutes.  a full service takes nearly an hour.  thanks!  alan

CaptDavDavis01

Alan, do you have any of the tr1000 frames of this lot still available?

Danny

alantani

yes, i think i have a half dozen left.  send a pm if interested.  thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Bryan Young

Quanitity as of today.

TR-1000 Frames - 9 available at $65/frame and clamp.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

i gave one to phinaddict.  make that 9 tr1000 frames and zero te 2000 frames.  alan

Bryan Young

We have new TR-2000 Frames.  Contact Alan if you are interested.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tarponmike

I like the look of these a lot but what would be the advantage over a TLD 15, essentially is that what a converted charter special becomes without a levelwind? Talk me into this, cause I want one already!!

alantani

mike, the tld 15 is a pretty big reel, similar in size to a 3/0 penn 112h.  it's a great reel for straight 30# mono, but very few of us fish straight mono anymore.  for a 3/0 size reel, i would load it with 400 yards of 80# spectra, tie on a short topshot of 60# fluoro, and set the drags to 20 pounds.  unfortunately, the tld 15 will barely deliver 15#'s of drag. 

for the narrow charter special tr 1000, you are looking at a max of 12-15 drags.  spool it up with 400 yards of 50# spectra, a short topshot of 40# fluoro and set the drag to 12 pounds.  if you have a charter special tr 2000, you're looking at 400 yards of 65# spectra and a 50# spectra.  you can get 15#'s of drag at the absolute very most, but it would be a huge strain on the drag system.  figure 12 pounds of drag here as well. 

of note, the avet sx and jx will deliver only 9 pounds of drag.  so yes, the hotrodded charter special will outperform the avet.  that's why the topless frame is so nice.  as far as the cost goes, i have not decided what the margin will be on the frames.  guess i'd better decide soon. 

Tarponmike

Alan thanks for the info, you talked me into it! Please post when the 1000 and 2000 frames are available and the cost. As long as there is no risk of flexing the frames with that kind of drag I cant wait to get one. Is there a way to hop the gear speed up to 6:1 on those reels?

alantani

sorry, there is really no way to change out the gear ratio.  send me a pm with your shipping info and let me know exactly what you want.  you'll really like the new look.  thanks!  alan