topless frame - shimano charter special tr 1000/2000 back in stock, jan 2018

Started by alantani, August 19, 2009, 06:32:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenstix

Thanks again John , in retrospect i guess i could have looked for Schematics on it .
After going through this Brand new Reel + Frame < fr: Alan ) I think it will be awesome as a smaller reel but I only noticed 1 thing I would have liked them to do ( kind of significant ) They have plenty of room in the frame size to have had a 3/16" to 1/4" Increase in Spool Diameter - giving probably 100 - 150-ish yrds xtra in Cap. , Which to Me ~ would have been near Absolute Perfection for like when Schoolie Bluefin are eating the Light line like Cortez bank ( or Yellows elsewhere )  . Kenstix

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sbcaster

Alan
Frame, handle, and carbon drag are fantastic! 

Best
ed l

PacRat

SevenYearsDown

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

conchydong

Quote from: handi2 on April 12, 2020, 06:10:59 PM
I sure wish they would come back..!!

And maybe something similar for the single speed TLD lever drags. Maybe there really not necessary but they sure would be nice.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

AlasKen

I was lucky enough to get 2 open frames from Alan for my TR1000 Carter specials.  I had upgraded the internals about 5 years ago and just serviced them.  In looking at the tutorials I noted that Alan had frames again.  I had to get a couple.  Did I really need them?  No.  Did I want them?  Heck yeh! 
Took less than 30 minutes a reel.  Just a couple of before and after.  As always with Alan's stuff, definitely top shelf.

thorhammer

thast a really sweet upgrade and dang it now i want one...those reels were favored by one of our local guides, Bojangle, who is the guy that taught me how to troll and livebait stripers. Wonderful neighbor.

mo65

Quote from: thorhammer on March 14, 2021, 11:31:32 AM
That's a really sweet upgrade and dang it now I want one.

Me too John...I don't have any hotrod Shimanos. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Kalbi

Does tr1000 frame accept rod clamps?  Are they still available for sell?

AlasKen

Quote from: Kalbi on March 27, 2021, 07:39:20 PM
Does tr1000 frame accept rod clamps?  Are they still available for sell?

My original frames did not have rod clamps nor does it appear there was a place to add them.  The open face frame from Alan included a very nice rod clamp.  Ken

rogan

I met up with Alan at the Pacific Coast Sportfishing show (2022) and was able to pick up a frame kit and handle arm assembly for the 1000. Alan asked me if I had a cf drag washer, which I did not, so Alan added one into the kit. When I got home, I did the install.

Here is the kit with my stock reel:   Frame, foot, clamp and all the hardware in the tray. along with the cf washer (extra cost). (Handle is in the next photo) 

As you can see, there is a difference in the handle size, and Alan has two mounting holes in the handle arm. I chose the longer arm setting.

A closeup of the frame and foot:

Installing the reel foot, use your grease!

Reel disassembled into the main components, if you get lost please refer to Alan's tutorial.

You will have to remove the white levelwind gear from the left hand side plate in order for the aluminum frame to fit to the left plate.

A quick comparison between the white factory canvas drag washer and the carbon fiber replacement. Grease up that CF and slap it in place! (Alan's tutorial covers this swap)

These are the frame screws for the aluminum frame, four on the left plate and five on the right plate. Grease these too...

Here is the right side plate all done up with the new screws. Just reinstall the quadrant, the lever assemble parts and the new handle.

And now you have a completed reel!!!

Alan asked me how I was going to set up the reel... As a 40lb or 30lb reel. When I hesitated since I'm new to this style of fishing, Alan added some valuable information. It can be fished as a 40lb reel, but that means close to 20lbs of drag at full. At 20lbs, the gears will fail (at some point). As a 30lb reel, 15lb max drag at full would be the target and the gears can handle that with no issues.  So with that info, I decided to make it a 30lb reel. This is relevant because Alan included a set of heavy belleville washers that are only needed if you want to exceed 15lb at full. Since my goal was 15lb max for the reel, I stayed with the stock washers and things worked out very well as you'll see next...

So now it was time to set the drag. I had already loaded the spool 2/3 full with 50lb pp braid, so I adjusted the pre-set dial, put the lever to full and gave a straight pull with my spring scale... 16lbs. Whoops, too much pre-set.  Lever back to free, dial down the pre-set, lever back to full and I got 15lb. So close! Since the rod will contribute 10% to the drag, I wanted 14lb at full. Repeat the same adjustment for a third try with the scale, and got a perfect 14lbs.

So now the question is "what is strike if full is 14lbs?"  That's were it gets really interesting. Full was 10lbs on the nose. So I checked the drag at different lever settings. Just out of free spool it's 6lbs, at the first frame screw (halfway between free and strike) it's 8lbs, strike is 10lbs, half way between strike and full is 12 lbs and full is 14lbs.  A perfect linear drag curve!!! So for me, the factory belleville washers are exactly what I needed in this reel.

I also checked free spool time and with the properly cleaned and lubed (TSI321) factory bearings, I got 30+ seconds.  This thing is ready to fish. Thank you Alan and Tom!