Newell 229 -poor free spool

Started by louie55, August 04, 2012, 04:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

louie55

I just upgraded a Newell 229 with new smooth drag bearings with reel x and was disappointed with the free spool. I'm only getting 7 seconds or so and it just seems sluggish. The spool isn't rubbing against the side plates, spindles on the spool itself seem fine and the frame is centered. I just put the bearings in the reel with a little bit of reel x. Should I have taken off the bearings covers and cleaned the insides and just kept the covers off? Any help would be appreciated. Louie

Bryan Young

Possibly the bearings need to be cleaned.  Also, excess of reelx will slow down the free spool.  You may want to try spinning the spool as fast as you can for a few minutes.  I find that if there's too much oil, it will work it's way around and out and the free spool becomes quicker.  If it doesn't, then it's probably the grease in teh bearings.

Good luck.
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

G'day and welcome Louie,
Bryan's got you on the right track.
Once you've done that, perhaps do a few trial casts.
I find Newell spools are very light and don't necessarily spin (in your hand) like metal/alloy spools.
Despite this, they still outcast most... ;)
Let us know how you get on.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

bluefish69

You didn't say which 229 you have. If it has Bearing Cups the left side might be a little too tight. I like just a tiny bit of play in the spool.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

louie55

Thanks Bryan, Justin and Bluefish69 for your responses.
I'm going to take all of the suggestions offered and put them to use, especially about cleaning the grease inside the bearings with carb cleaner. I think I'll probably leave the bearing shields off, at least one side when I put them back in. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again. Louie

alantani

make sure you have zero load on the spool from the bearing caps, clean the bearings, and polish the inside of the pinion gear.  that should do it!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

louie55

I finally got a chance to work on my Newell last month and did a full upgrade (drags and bearings).
As for the free spool fix I took all the suggestions on this site and put them to good use. I did the following:
1. Removed both shields on each bearing using a needle (punctured it). I ended up damaging one or two of the bearings this way, but it was my first try and the rest were easier. I might use a dental pick next time.
2. Spraying some wd-40 was also suggested so I did that on the bearings and let them soak for about 20 minutes.
3. Carb cleaning time. I  sprayed them into the bearings and then let them soak in a container for a couple hours.  Acetone and lighter fluid were suggested, but I think I'll stay away from those for now.
4. Used a hair dryer to dry the bearings and then let air dry completely.
5. I didn't use compressed air but used a dremmel tool with a soft tip to slowly turn the bearings for 30 seconds or so.
6. Lubed with reel x but just a little bit.
7. Installed bearings with all shields off as they were bent and destroyed.
Free spool was much improved. Tested it on the water and casting was improved. I'm curious how reliable are bearings without the shields. They still have the tracks inside, but what are the chances of them seizing up on me? Shield keeps dirt and water out but how important are they to the overall integrity of the bearing?

redsetta

Nice work Louie.
The shields serve no structural purpose so, with a periodic clean and relube, they'll be fine.
Might want to consider getting some TSI301 at some stage.
Good luck out on the water, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer