Everol 12/0 - a once-over with all the trimmings...

Started by redsetta, August 08, 2012, 10:09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Justin:  As usual you are sure and meticulous.  That was a great job. 
Wallace, I wish I was there to see the ink blotch test.  Your buddy failed the test to your amusement.  Great story  ;D
Sal:  Everything made in Italy is terrific.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Mr.Grinta

For every sunrise there will be a sunset, for every sunset there will be a sunrise. You have to accept Leonard.

handi2

Hello Justin,

I noticed you said the drag can be changed by the addition or removal of springs. I've serviced the 14/0 before using your great tutorial but now I have an 9/0 Everol in the shop with a very light max drag.

Is using the springs the only way to increase the drag?

It took him 3 hours on a 75lb Tuna with this reel. With the lever at maximum I can pull line out by hand. That's usually 15lbs.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Keith,
You can add springs, and upgrade to the newer carbon fiber washers if it's an older reel with the coarse weave.  Not sure if I would want to modify the cam ramp on this reel though.  Also, any mods from stock will cause that drag curve scale to be in correct.

You may want to send Justin an email?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Robert Janssen

Keith, something is obviously quite wrong. It is hard to say exactly what, since we don't know what kind of life the reel has had until now, and not leastly if someone has been tinkering with it.

1) Check to see that the bridge screws are tight / bridge is tight against right side plate
2) there should be (somewhat dependent on age) a thin ring or washer between the left sideplate bearing and the spool bearing. Make sure that it is there.*
3) Are drag springs missing? I don't recall exactly how many there should be, but it should at least be an even distribution / even filling of the spring pockets in the spool
4) Where on the lever / drag scale does the drag begin to make contact? Should offer a clue.
5) Is there grease on the drag washers? Are all the drag washers there?

There is no cam ramp on these reels. The CF drag washers (all have coarse weave; the older washers have traditional clutch lining material) are of very similar thickness, so there shouldn't be such a huge difference as you are experiencing.

*There is one way to fine-tune the drag: by varying the thickness of this ring. However, this is a bit sensitive, so begin by ascertaining that all else seems well first.

handi2

I will post pictures as I get into it today. The reels is in excellent condition and I loosened all screws while he was here. Just making sure they weren't corroded in. All screws were greased.
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

So far so good. Everything looks to be right and in great condition.

One double sided friction plate with the old style material. All bearings feel good.

12 springs.

Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

Couple more..
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Looks to in pretty good condition, but given the symptoms expressed by the customer, I would consider...

1)Rehoning the metal washers to a perfectly flat/polished surface
2)Upgrading the double sided drag washer to CF
3)Maybe pick up a few new Springs

Did you test the drag and compare it against the scale before servicing?  If the  numbers were good, you could just clean everything up, relube, and reassemble.  Of course you want to clean/check all bearings, and don'the lose any of those loose balls.  I love the clicker design on these reels.. top notch IMHO.

Keep us posted. 
Hope springs eternal

Robert Janssen

Yes, looks nice and in order so far. Great pics.
Question, though... in the pics it looks as if something has been rubbing on the inner, sheet metal part of the friction disc. Whassup with that..? How is the roller plate doing, is it flat? One could almost get the impression that it looks bent. It needs to be flat, to a diameter larger than the hole in the top disc in order to apply pressure evenly. Hard to see from a pic of course.

The spring count seems about right; not obviously wrong anyway, and not so much that the drag would be so lacking.

I gotta go for a few hours. Later.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Robert Janssen on February 02, 2016, 06:36:31 PM
Yes, looks nice and in order so far. Great pics.
Question, though... in the pics it looks as if something has been rubbing on the inner, sheet metal part of the friction disc. Whassup with that..? How is the roller plate doing, is it flat? One could almost get the impression that it looks bent. It needs to be flat, to a diameter larger than the hole in the top disc in order to apply pressure evenly. Hard to see from a pic of course.

Keith,
I was wondering the same thing.  I'm thinking the drag disc has just worn down to the point where it doesn't quite clear the roller plate when the lever is pushed to sunset.  A new drag disc, or maybe shimming could help here. 

Mr. Jenson is correct in saying the springs are all there and correct, and better try to find out what other part is rubbing and why.

I hope the echo is not too bad in here?

John
Hope springs eternal

handi2

I noticed that also but now it's working fine. With the drag lever at 12 o'clock I surely can't pull any drag by hand as I did before with it all the way over. I'll check it with a scale when my son gets home.

I think the drag lever was installed incorrectly. There is one shim under the drag lever so it pulls the drag assembly a little tighter.

I didn't take any pictures of the right side, bearing cage, or gearing. It's just like the 14/0. I did have to change the bearing under the main gear. The roller bearing pressed into the gear case cover was totally rusted. It was cleaned and packed with grease.

Thanks again for the great tutorial..!!
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

Also yes the last metal washer on top of the drags is slightly bent. It's very thin and I assume it gets pressed flat as drag is applied.

Gulf Breeze, FL