C344-J5 Tiburon Frame

Started by KYN808, August 11, 2012, 04:44:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYN808

Just bought the Tiburon frame for my C344-J5 and found that it's not a simple switch.  The 344 has rods that go through the reel seat and secured with a screw.  The frame has threaded holes and does not accommodate the rod.  Where can I find screws to replace the rods? Are the screws unique to this size of reel and Newell altogether?  Appreciate your help

bluefish69

The rods are threaded & on the other end is a female threaded rivet with screw head. The screws can be bought from McMaster & Car 5/40 thread / flat head but not sure on the C Series
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

KYN808

Are all Newell screws the same diameter/length? Or are they different based on series (i.e. 200, 300, 400, etc)?

bluefish69

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

alantani

contact tiburon.  they should have stainless steel oval head countersunk head 5-40 machine screws to fit.  if not, let me know and i will try to find some for you.  they can cost up to 50 cents each!  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

KYN808

Well I finally ordered boxes of 5/40 screws from the guys mentioned above and found that I was able to put the 344 together no problem.  The Tiburon frame is really well built and rock solid.  I used 3/4" 5/40 flathead screws to replace the rods.  I also replaced some of the other stock screws with 1/2" & 3/4" panheads.   ;D

Thanks a lot for your help peeps!

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer