trinidad/torium dog spring upgrade

Started by alantani, August 23, 2009, 04:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Quote from: Kayaker on December 29, 2013, 05:00:10 AM
So, I did the drag upgrade to my Torium 20 and now my anti-reverse has had problems.  I am guessing when I took apart dog/pawl, I may have damaged it, although it would be unnoticeable to the naked eye.  Luckily, I didnt hook into the 30 lb class pelagic fish with this reel.  Did cast into their boils...   :o

So Shimano is replacing this system with a spring, and shim?  Of course I dont mind paying for it.
If you have the original anti-reverse, you will need to just squeeze the metal fins on the pawl together to add some additional tension or you may have gotten grease in that area and it got stuck.

I personally would go with an upgrade spring and pawl..  No need for the ship if you use a new pawl from the Trini DC reels.  Shimano seems to still be out.  Ping Alan or myself if you want a set to install in your Torium 20.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Kayaker

Thanks Bryan, got my spring and pawl upgrade today, installed, reel working great!  8)

Bryan Young

Quote from: Kayaker on January 06, 2014, 09:16:37 PM
Thanks Bryan, got my spring and pawl upgrade today, installed, reel working great!  8)

You're welcome.  Glad it worked out for you.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Kayaker

Quick question, has shimano updated their reels to spring and pawl, or still using Ambassador pawl?  I am sure the answer is in this thread somewhere.  ???

Just curious, need to know if I need to update a new shimano reel once I buy it!   :-*

Bryan Young

They are still using Ambassador style pawls.

AJ

Even my new Talica 20 II has Ambassador style pawls.  They put in three, I guess hoping at least one will work!
Robb

Bryan Young

Just discovered that the Torsa line also uses Ambassador style pawls except for Torsa 40.  I wonder if part TGT1225 (spring) and TGT1224 (pawl) are equivalent to the Trinidad 20 DC TGT1304 (spring) and TGT1303 (pawl).  The spring looks different, but may function the same.  I think I will need to order a set of the Torsa 40 parts on my next Shimano order for comparison since the Trini 20 DC spring and pawls are sold out, and have been for a while.

reelgood

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 09, 2014, 03:24:03 PM
Just discovered that the Torsa line also uses Ambassador style pawls except for Torsa 40.  I wonder if part TGT1225 (spring) and TGT1224 (pawl) are equivalent to the Trinidad 20 DC TGT1304 (spring) and TGT1303 (pawl).  The spring looks different, but may function the same.  I think I will need to order a set of the Torsa 40 parts on my next Shimano order for comparison since the Trini 20 DC spring and pawls are sold out, and have been for a while.

I think the Torsa 40 ones are larger but can't be sure, sold my 40 a while ago, I've got a memory like a goldfish  ???

Hamachi

Just bought the dc pawl and spring at sav- on tackle, Santa Fe springs,ca. They have a whole bag full, Mas said no one buys these parts! Little expensive though, $3.10 together.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Bryan Young

That's a good price.  Unless you buy a lot to defer the cost of shipping, it gets expensive getting it from Shimano

Hamachi

Plus tax, and the eight dollars in fuel to get there and back.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

alantani

it's $3 here as well, but only $2 to mail!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

franky

Hello Alan,

Sometimes when I apply the DC dog and spring to the torium or trinidad it works flawlessly.

However, sometimes, even with the DC dog, I still experience the spring getting binded between the dog and the reel thus causing the dog to get stuck in the up and out position from the ratchet gear.

I tried using the tld washer (TLD0047) and the pawl keeper when screwed down binded the pawl so that the pawl did not move at all.

When you used the TLD washer as a shim, did you sand it down to make it thinner?

Thanks,  ???

Bryan Young

Hi Frank,

I've had similar experienes with the spring slipping under the pawl.  I bent up the spring against the pawl more so that it doesn't slip under and bind.  So far so good.

Bryan

franky

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the response.  Yes, sometimes I also bend the straight part of the spring up to hug the pawl, but the part that seems to be binding is the circular part when the pawl is lifted way up because of the high point of the ratchet teeth.  Its like the circular part sitting under the pawl becomes elogated or oblong shapped when the wire is torqued because the pawl is lifted really high.  Then it tends to bind right in the skinny crack between the under side of the pawl and the base of the silver pin that the pawl is rotating on.  :-\