Ambassadeur 3.0 HST

Started by Robert Janssen, August 19, 2012, 01:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Janssen

This is the ABU Ambassadeur 30.

This is ABU's second attempt at larger, offshore lever drag reels, conceived in 1974. They are somewhat unique, with their stainless steel frames and acetal sideplates. The styling is also dramatically avant-garde, which is not unusual for ABU.

A truly inspiring reel, or at least I like to think so. I first came across it years and years ago, down in the deep recesses of the patent office archives, where one could browse among neverending shelves with millions of documents.

I found the mechanical design enamoring; simply brilliant in fact. So simple, so clever... So few parts. I daresay that never has there been a design so simple for this type of reel.

I've never forgotten it, in all the years following.

And often thought of the man behind it, Hugo Svensson.

And thought many times, that perhaps our paths would cross and I would meet him someday, and would have the opportunity to express my appreciation.

In the meantime, I would've liked to make a reel for myself, a little special edition keepsake; a Hugo Svensson Tribute reel.

So, I started getting into it earlier this year, and laid out the idea... made a frame, some gears, a handle... It was looking pretty nice.

And then, I got a letter. It was from his daughter.

He is dead, she said... he died a few years ago. She explained that she had found her way to me by way of the ORCA and their website, in search of learning more about her father. Could I help?

Yes, perhaps I can, said I... That his years at ABU may have been long ago, but they did not pass unnoticed, nor will they be forgotten. And that little I thank him for inspiration before embarking on my own little quest for wisdom, wherever it may lead.

And so I thought it apt, to continue:

So, some time has gone by. You know how it is- things to do, changes in life, things take time. But in recent weeks, I decided to complete this little project.

I work alone, from scratch. I am self-taught, and all my machines are manually operated. Really, the only things I don't make are screws (well, sometimes) and ball bearings. So, some things take some time, but they usually turn out the way I like; or at least similar thereto.

I began by marking, drilling and threading the base plate, which is after all the anchor and basis for all things mechanical....

...like the intricate gear train I designed for this reel. The original reels had a gear ratio something like 3:1. I wanted something much quicker, like 6:1, for reasons we will later see. This is not entirely easily done within such a constrained space. The alternative to strict adherence to Hugo's design, would have been to add a big, drop-down double chin so popular on reels nowadays- an aesthetically less appealing alternative. Besides, I like gears...

...which is why I own a gear hobbing machine; to better make them myself.

The outer right-hand sideplate takes shape, paying close attention to the multitude of peculiar angles involved.

The spool is made to be extremely lightweight

And together with a few other bits 'n' pieces, it all starts taking shape.

Drag levers and things are a bit intricate, but this turned out rather nicely.

...and look at that. Neat as you please.

Ladies and gentlemen, introducing the Ambassadeur 3.0 Hugo Svensson Tribute:

...but there is something I haven't shown you. Here... c'mere, pick a hand

Left? Okay...

Epilogue:

The reel isn't quite finished yet. Later, as opportunity allows, I will correct small errors, and make a few additions. A magnetic cast control is in the works for instance, and a lighter spool.

I would have liked to share this with Jack Erskine; it is the type of thing he would have enjoyed, not leastly since he had a part in the development of these reels back in the day.

Earlier this spring I met one of the old ABU guys, Olle Lidesjö. There aren't very many left of his sort. Most of the OG's have retired by now, but Olle has been there for a bit over twenty-five years. We chatted for a while. I told him this story, and showed him this reel.

He liked it. All is well.

Thank you. What an amazing story but more so, what an amazing piece of work.  You are beyond talented as only a self taught man can be, an artisan.  I am a true Abu fanatic and enjoyed you story, thank you for sharing it.

Alto Mare

Amazing story Robert.
I'm in awe that you could put together such a beautiful reel from scratch, and at the same time jealous hat I'm not able to.
Thanks for showing it to us, I'm glad that you're here.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Nessie Hunter

Speechless!!! 

That is simply Amazing..
Hats off to you and all that talent...
Envious doesnt quite express the feeling....
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

redsetta

Best reel story ever.
I grew up next door to a retired craftsman who built scale working replicas of steam trains like the Flying Scotsman, and huge steam-powered ships, all with working boilers, steerage etc.
Like you, he handmade every component.
Inspirational stuff Robert - thanks so much for sharing.
All the best, Justin
PS Nice to see I'm not the only one still using analogue verniers ;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

you've never shared this on any other board, have you.  i am deeply honored.  speaking of jack erskine, i was able to attend his funeral.  he was a great man and he will be sorely missed.  i think the world would a better place if the internet would have been available for him to share his work during his early years. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

just a passing thought, gentlemen.  the bar has been raised.......
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Robert Janssen

Glad you enjoyed it.

Redsetta, so you noticed the verniers, eh? I'll have you know, I was very careful to keep things out of the background in pics, that would give away the scale. Thankfully, those verniers and that adjustable spanner happen to be very small too.

Scale can be misleading that way. An illusion holds as long as the photography allows... Like this close-up of a ball bearing. You can see the fine details by looking closely.

Or?  :)

redsetta

Nicely done - the illusion was seamless (in both instances!) ;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Silent Hunter

Absolutely brilliant Robert!  You have us all in the palm of your hand.
Silence is Golden

Nessie Hunter

:o

Where in the world did you find a Hand that small!!!!!

;D   lol
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Dave Bentley

As we say in Oz, "Clever bugger aren't you."
Only believe that which you know to be true.

broadway

Robert,
    I have to agree with Nessie... I'm speechless except to say you're a true craftsman.
Well done,
Dom

mhc

Robert - I hope you don't mind me dredging up the past, but this post left a lasting impression on me and thought more recent members that missed it would appreciate it. I dug it up to check the recent photos you posted of an Abu 30 with stainless box was indeed a 30 and not the famous 3.0 (before you had confirmed it was an Abu 30). Did the mag cast control ever happen?
Michael
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Shark Hunter

Thanks for dredging it up Mike,
I haven't seen this before. I had no Idea Mr. Janssen was so talented.
Hats off to you Sir.
Life is Good!