"Hilo Guides"

Started by MauiWes, August 29, 2012, 12:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MauiWes

These are the guides I run on my ulua poles. If anyone is interested, the pic and copy below is from the S.Tokunaga Store website:

"The original "Hilo Guides" were introduced to Hawai'i in the 1940's by Sumie Tokunaga, founder of S. Tokunaga Store.  These flexible, durable stainless guides were designed to replace the old "boat style" guides.  Grandson Michael Tokunaga, avid fisherman, custom rod builder and present owner of S. Tokunaga Store still sells these guides.  "Hilo Guides" have a more weather-resistant surface and a higher frame for greater line clearance.  Copied by many but still the best!"

Bryan Young

I though they also came out with some IT guides as well?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Irish Jigger

Made mine from 14swg (2mm) dia stainless steel bicycle spokes over 50 years ago. Very easy to repair/replace. May not be compatable  today's hi tech lines.

lawaia

The late great Hawaiian rod wrapper Swanee Kumano put Hilo guides that he made on the outriggers he wrapped for me over a decade ago and they're still going strong.  Cheap and easy to make, sometimes the simplest ideas are the best.  Tokunaga came up with a terrific idea!