How to strip-down old rods for re-wrap?

Started by Joel.B, August 29, 2012, 03:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel.B

I have some old Sabre, Conlon, Wright-McGill I want to modernize and beautify. One is two-piece and stuck together pretty good with metal ferrules.  ANother Sabre had removable butt- comes apart at front of seat.   How can I get the two piece apart? Already soaked with various known products like Kroil and such, heated the connection too.

What is best way to remove old wrap and guides? Razor blade? WHat about the resin?

Steve-O

Hello!  hard to believe 80 people viewed this before you get a reply.....oh well.....here goes.  I've done a few (less than 10 rods) with surprising ease of success.  Here's where you want to go-http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building-101/Videos

Mudhole will get you going with everything you need.  Stuck two piece rods can be a toughie to get apart. Try Break Free...if that doesn't work get a bigger hammer! Actually, adding some vibration to the effort is a good thing. Find a device around the house that may provide a rattly vibration to press against the ferrule area while pulling straight apart after letting the Break Free penetrate overnight.

Good luck!

SteveO

Bryan Young

Quote from: Joel.B on August 29, 2012, 03:21:06 PM
I have some old Sabre, Conlon, Wright-McGill I want to modernize and beautify. One is two-piece and stuck together pretty good with metal ferrules.  ANother Sabre had removable butt- comes apart at front of seat.   How can I get the two piece apart? Already soaked with various known products like Kroil and such, heated the connection too.

What is best way to remove old wrap and guides? Razor blade? WHat about the resin?

I'm not sure how I had missed this.  Sorry.

You've got some great choices in modernization.

I have no good advise for the metel ferrules.  The thing that I had to do is to unwrap the area of the ferrule and heat to remove them by softening the resins, but this bothers me because I'm not sure if I'm also damaging the resin of the blank.  So, most of the time, it becomes a 1 piece rod for me.

Regarding the thread, I use a razor to cut the wrap then unwind.  I prep the bland by using light sand paper to remove the excess varnish then sand the whole rod down and give it a very light flexwrap/u-40,... coating to seal the blank before I begin wrapping again.  If you want to paint the blank, I've used enamels because they are a little flexible then seal the blank  Now you are ready to re-wrap.  I would recommend using modern spacing techniques and increase the # of guides to help equalize the load on the blank

Good luck, have fun, and don't hesitate asking questions.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Nessie Hunter

186 reads...!!!!!  
Several were me....  ::)

I dont wrap Rods, but thought it was a HOW TO post. so wanted to learn myself...

;D
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Joel.B

Thanks for the tips. I am going to do the two-piece first - as it is the funkiest of them and if I booger it up a bit I wont be too bummed.

Will check in with progress.

Steve-O

Another idea I passed along to another is to get a really cheap yard sale/ flea market junk rod to practice on. There won't be much thread, glue, epoxy, sealer or effort wasted. And the hands on experience will get you through any major blunders that you avoid on your real projects. You don't have to fix your goofs; just cut off he guides move up or down a few inches and repeat the steps. I even practiced on an oak dowel to get he feel of wrapping guides. One rod done well makes a world of difference on the next one.