Newell 220 s 3.6 :1

Started by LI Guy, August 29, 2012, 09:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LI Guy

A quick question for you Newell Guru's. I just serviced four 200 series reels and all are working nicely. However one of my 220's seems to have something going on that I don't understand. when you put the reel in free spool the spool spins backward for a few seconds. It seems there is some kind of tension going on here and I'm not sure what it is. The spool tension is properly adjusted and it free spools nicely and otherwise functions just fine. Any ideas?

Bryan Young

Do you mean that it actually spins or rotates slowly and settles?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bluefish69

Possible that the dog is not engaging properly. Dog Spring?
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

LI Guy

The Dog is fine. When the reel is put into free spool it quickly rotates backward for 3 or 4 rotations then stops. It's like I'm releasing tension on the spool. The reel free spools fine. It only happens when you disengage the pinion.

bluefish69

Stiff Mono with memory like a spring that's loaded with tension? I know you use Braid. LOL

LI Guy

Yeah I have braid on this reel. The spool obviously has some tension on it that causes it to rotate backwards when the pinion is disengaged. The thing is the reel free spools normally and otherwise works just fine. I can use it the way it is with no problem but I don't want to put wear on whatever part is involved in causing this.

Panama

I grabbed my 220, opened it and tried to recreate what your dealing with, without success.  Did you change any parts?  Did you check that the pinion is sitting as it should? 
Get on the water, Man!!!

Bryan Young

Without seeing the reel, this is above my pay grade.  I cannot think of what the cause would be.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bluefish69

You said you serviced the reel. Did you remove the yoke & flip it over? I will check with the Jig Man from the Bay in the morning.

LI Guy

I have the yoke installed correctly . I'm going to open it up again and check the pinion. It seems like the pinion is kicking the spool back when disengaged. I just went over 5 Newells and this the only one that does this. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime thank you for your input guys. I appreciate it.

redsetta

G'day LI,
I'm inclined to think there's a burr on the pinion that's catching on the spool shaft as it disengages (or vice versa).
Interested to hear what you find once you check it again.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

bluefish69

Justin

I have just finished 25 Newells in a row & never heard of this. I have an email to my Newell guru to see what he says.

Alto Mare

Sounds like the pinion gear is getting caught on the spool shaft.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

LI Guy

OK, It's being caused by the pinion not disengaging smoothly. With the pinion engaged, if you hold your thumb tightly on the spool you can feel resistance when putting into free spool. The pinion is forcing the spool backward to disengage. Now I just have to find what is causing it to not release smoothly. Any thoughts?

LI Guy

There are no burrs on either the shaft or pinion. I'm sure this will cause the pinion to wear if not corrected. I'm thinking that something may be holding the pinion slightly out of alignment.