Newell 220 s 3.6 :1

Started by LI Guy, August 29, 2012, 09:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panama

For some reason I am thinking that the pinion is not original Newell.  Maybe it was changed with a Penn pinion?
Get on the water, Man!!!

LI Guy

No it's original. The reel is about 4 years old and i"m the original owner. Any replacement parts on any of my Newells are original Newell parts. This pinion has never been changed.

bluefish69

I hope you bought that reel from Kenny when he was around.

Now stop the suspense - What was the problem? It's a must that you keep us up to date with this issue.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

LI Guy

Kenny Whurl Wow it's a small world! He is missed. Anyway I've located the problem but haven't been able to correct it. Here goes. When the pinion is disengaged it rotates about 1/8 turn when the yoke moves. I've cleaned the groove where it sits in the yoke and it turn freely. Yet when I reassemble the reel the problem persists. The pinion will not disengage unless the spool is allowed to rotate back. With the reel in gear if you hold the spool tight with your thumb the shift lever will hang up. Take your thumb off and it disengages as the spool kicks back. I'm wondering if the jack assembly might be the cause?

bluefish69

It's possible that the ears on the jack plate are bent a little too much one way or the other. As far as the jack arm hanging the only way mine hang is if they need lube.

I worked deck with Kenny, Peter & Chris as Capt & Mate

Alto Mare

I still say that your pinion gear is getting caught on the spool shaft.
Try sliding the pinion gear on the spool shaft all the way up by hand and see if you have resistance when pulling it out. I know that you've checked the shaft and pinion for burrs, but the problem might be at the notched area.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

LI Guy

The pinion is not sticking on the  spool. I've worked it back and forth, in and out, no issues. With the right side plate removed, working the lever back and forth, you can see the pinion being rotated about 1/8 turn. The jack is well lubricated. I will check again to see if the ears are possibly bent in or out. This problem normally would not bother me too much as the reel functions just fine. However I know I'm going to wear the inside of the pinion if not corrected, and these parts are becoming hard to find. Thank for all the input. Again I really appreciate it.

alantani

Could the jack be lifting opinion up at an odd angle?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

LI Guy

Yes Alan I'm thinking that this is being caused by some missalignment somewhere. I'll break it down again to see.

bluefish69

L I Guy

If you need something let me know. I'm in Howard Beach

Alto Mare

You might want to check the clutch springs as well and see if they look and feel the same.....just trying to help.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

LI Guy

I appreciate all the help. You guys are great. I'll keep you posted. Blue Fish 69, Kenny's former partner in Atlantic B&T is a close friend and I spent a bit of time hanging around and B.S ing with Kenny before he passed. An interesting guy and a good man. I stay in touch with Petey and he is doing well. I'm in Seaford. Appreciate the offer.

bluefish69

I was in Massapequa last night

LI Guy

O.K, I've narrowed it down. It's the pinion. I switched pinions with another 220 and now the other reel has the same symptoms. It's not sticking on the spindle, but it seems that it's worn in a way that causes a slap on the spindle when disengaging. Aside from this it works fine, so I guess I will continue to use it for now. Maybe down the line I may have to put a main gear and pinion from a Penn 500 in it. Pretty ironic. 35 years ago we were putting Newell gears in our Penns, now I may be going the other way. Go figure. Anyway thank you all for your time and help. I've  never seen a web site with members so eager to help out. Truly refreshing. Thanks again.

bluefish69