Penn 80w old school

Started by piroguejoe, July 24, 2012, 03:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piroguejoe

I have been looking for an old school penn 80 for a while and it seems they bring a purty penny but lo and behold an 80w found me at the right price and is currently in route to my door step. I am almost certain it will have the old asbestos drag and I will be wanting to upgrade to ht100 or the dura drag plate. The problem is I have no clue where to locate these.  Also does anyone else make a drag washer for the old 80? Smoothdrag?I will be using the reel for some land based shark fishing along with my 9/0 and am not expecting stump pulling drags just something stouter than the 9/0 I have that pulls around 30lbs. What kind of drag should I expect for the asbestos versus the ht100 vs duradrag? I have completely disassembled the senator with no hiccups and am not worried about tearing into the 80w. Would like any opinions about this reel as well. Thanks in advance

kamuwela

im sure the drag is not asbestos open it up and see first . Mystic Reel Parts is the go to place for penn parts.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

piroguejoe

Just have a nagging feelin it will. It's the older 80w with posts instead of a frame. The owner said it was purchased along with a boat and 7 other internationals 10-15 years ago and the 80w's have been stored since. He says all were we'll maintained and drags are smooth but unless they were upgraded it may have the old style asbestos donut. And it appears Scott's doesn't carry replacement ht100 cause they are discontinued. Duradrag kit seems to be for 50w international but maybe it fits the 80. Not sure which way to go on this one. Wish part were as easy to find as for for my senator.

kamuwela

sorry diddnt know it was with posts. you will love the dutra drag, alot of 50 and 80's share parts

Robert Janssen

Yes, the old 80 shared the aluminum drag disc with the bonded HT-100 with the 50.
I've made a lot of those in the past; i didn't realize you can't get them anymore.

Smooth drag used to make them, albeit with a different friction material.

It can't be so hard to simply make new floating drag washers from HT-100 either.

piroguejoe

It's a shame no one makes a replacement. Does the ht100 use the same plate as the asbestos donut?

kamuwela

did you try part number 117an-80t and 117dn-50 they should be direct replacement. the material is dura drag great stuff.

piroguejoe

Thank you! Both these parts are in stock. What kind of drag pressure should I expect with the dura drag?

piroguejoe

Quote from: kamuwela on July 27, 2012, 02:01:16 AM
did you try part number 117an-80t and 117dn-50 they should be direct replacement. the material is dura drag great stuff.

went with the above parts and am very pleased!  very smooth drags!!!!!  thanks for the info!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

piroguejoe

Ok here's another question.  I respooled the reel with 130lb braid/mono topshot and she is Full,level and beautiful but when I tested drag with old line (wasn't nearly this full, like 3/4 full) I got like 35lbs strike and like 40lb full. After filling it I got like 24lb strike and 26lb full. I changed bellville washers from ()() to(()) and get 28lbs at full with free spool but reel handle has a little resistance at this point and drag lever is noticeably harder to push to strike and full. Is this normal? Is this all I should expect from this combo or is there more I could do to gain a lil more drag? Was hoping for mid 30s drag wise. Either way I'm still very pleased and think I will enjoy this reel very much as my first lever drag. Any info is much appreciated.

alantani

yes, this is all normal.  if there is any amount of damage or wear to the right main side plate bearing at all, you will notice a dramatic increase in cranking effort at higher drag ranges.  also, the lever is effectively forcing the drag plates together. the higher the drag range, the more force is needed. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!