Newell Parts???

Started by Cortez_Conversions, September 13, 2012, 01:56:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortez_Conversions

So with Newell out of the picture for the immediate future, what replacement parts are going to be needed first?
I just dropped some handle nuts off at Alans place, whats next?
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Panama

I think bearing caps and the threaded inserts that go on the top of the reel....holds the top screws. Those inserts always strip. 5:1 gears and pinions are a hot ticket always.
Anthony
Get on the water, Man!!!

alantani

got the handle nuts.  the price is $8 with shipping included.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Panama

Great price. Don't need any now but I know where to get one if I do!
Get on the water, Man!!!

alantani

it's basically cost plus shipping.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

TEAMFISH

Quote from: Panama on September 13, 2012, 02:07:01 AM
I think bearing caps and the threaded inserts that go on the top of the reel....holds the top screws. Those inserts always strip. 5:1 gears and pinions are a hot ticket always.
Anthony

What I did find is that the little captive female standoff is available from McMaster Carr. It comes with a 4-40 thread and Newell uses a 5-40 thread. I just had to get the right tap and basically chase the threads, worked perfectly. From what i found they are the same for most 200 and 300 series Newells. I now have a couple dozen extra but for $ 10.00 plus change, i can live with it.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#cadinlnord/93090a430/=j375yr 

bluefish69

Quote from: TEAMFISH on September 14, 2012, 07:40:59 PM
Quote from: Panama on September 13, 2012, 02:07:01 AM
Anthony

What I did find is that the little captive female standoff is available from McMaster Carr. It comes with a 4-40 thread and Newell uses a 5-40 thread. I just had to get the right tap and basically chase the threads, worked perfectly. From what i found they are the same for most 200 and 300 series Newells. I now have a couple dozen extra but for $ 10.00 plus change, i can live with it.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#cadinlnord/93090a430/=j375yr 

I tried the same thing as TEAMFISH  --  So far I am $25 in the hole for taps & have only 5 complete. I will be rdering more Taps tomorrow [ tapered & bottoming taps ].
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Cortez_Conversions

Buy the correct drill  for a 5-40 and you won't break as many taps.
A #39 drill should do the trick for you.
Good luck!
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

bluefish69

These are taped already for 4/40. I will give a try. I think McMaster said size 38 no mater I have both.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

GKFISH

Hello All...What about the the U-5 MK (metal) l/s bearing cap that replaced the U-5 (plastic) l/s bearing caps.

GKFISH