113(Black)YTS or Grouper Special?

Started by George4741, September 16, 2012, 07:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

I've mentioned this reel before and decided show you how it came together.  Some of the "old-school" guys assembled reels like this back in the day, but I'm sure it won't be replacing anyone's 113H Yellowtail Special anytime soon. ;D  After all, it has a slow 1:2 gear ratio and smaller drags.  

This Penn 113 was an inexpensive impulse bid on ebay and I didn't plan on fishing with it.  So, I was pleasantly surprised when I found out it has a steel main gear.  This made it a good candidate for a stainless steel gear sleeve and a 1+5 drag stack.  I think it can take a maximum drag of 12-15lb with 40 lb mono.  I like my reels narrow and knew a Longbeach 66 spool will fit, IF I can get a narrow frame.  I first thought about using a Tiburon YTS frame (a rather expensive route) but I got lucky and found a less expensive Newell RBYT foot and bars.

Here is the result.

The original Senator 113 spool shown with the narrower Longbeach 66 spool and Newell parts.

The SS gear sleeve and steel main gear, along with the now standardized 1+5 drag washer stack.

On my Senators I always place the bellville washer on top of the spacer sleeve as shown.  It is easier to replace when it looses it's shape.

The assembled reel.  My only concern is the 3-piece spool distorting with the use of mono.  We'll see....  

viurem lliures o morirem

Bryan Young

Very Nice George.  Now, show us some fish. ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Very nice George. The 5-66 gear can take a little more abuse than the 5-60, but I would keep it at around 12lb.
Isn't it something how Penn has the narrow, standard and wide for most of their reels, well only up to the 6/0.
On your particular reel, the 66, 67, and 68 parts will give you those, I'm sure you already know that.
I wish one day I'll get to see one of my favorite reel, narrowed. Penn has the standard and wide but not narrow.
I sent an email to Steve Carson and asked if Penn would consider a narrow kit on that reel, Steve doesn't think that it would ever happen, that doesn't stop us here though ;).
By the way, the reel that I'm talking about is the 116A ( 10/0 ), I have a few of those.
A 2.5" aluminum spool and a one piece aliminum frame, this reel would give others a run for their money.
Targeting big game is about torque not speed, the 116A has a 2:1 ratio, along with a 5" spool, low speed and large diameter spool is the key ;)
I'm still hoping George, maybe I'll get to see it one day.
Sal
Thanks for sharing your treasures with us ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Very nice, and Alto Mare, why would you need a narrow 10/0?
Grayson Lanier

saltydog

The 116A 10/0 is a narrow 116 or 12/0,and a 117 14/0 is the comparable version of a narrow 118 16/0 so really the only penns without a narrow version are the 115,110,111.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Alto Mare

Lighter, more balanced and more manageable.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: saltydog on September 16, 2012, 02:30:23 PM
The 116A 10/0 is a narrow 116 or 12/0,and a 117 14/0 is the comparable version of a narrow 118 16/0 so really the only penns without a narrow version are the 115,110,111.
All depends on how you look at it saltydog. I'm not just talking  2.5" width spool, I also mentioned an aluminum spool and frame. I've never seen an aluminum spool on a 10/0.
This would be the reel, not like that fancy stuff that they're coming out with today. Older design were better...just my opinion.
Sal

saltydog

Yes I would agree,anything we can do to improve any of the older designs is all game for me.I love my old penns and always look to improve them.I am getting ready to work on improving 2 112 and a 112H,and I always wondered why they never made an aluminum spool for the 10/0,it would have been a great improvement.But well Penn has given more purchase of there newer lines of reels for those who have to have the newest shiniest toys.I still perfer the old school Penns and buy them when I get a chance over the newer stuff,heck I still use my 50 International I bought 25 years ago second hand from a guy who had it from the 70's.Heck I can buy alot of old Penns for what 1 of the newer reels cost,and more is better.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

George4741

Thanks for the nice comments, guys.  I'm just playing around and trying to show that the age of "frankenreels" doesn't have to be dead.   

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 16, 2012, 07:31:39 AM
Very Nice George.  Now, show us some fish. ;D
I've been doing a lot of trout fishing in NE Nevada this year.  I know, I know, it isn't the same as salt water fishing, but it'll do in a pinch. ;)

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on September 16, 2012, 01:27:18 PM
Very nice, and Alto Mare, why would you need a narrow 10/0?
Some of us, including me, are narrow minded. ;)  Seriously though, it's mainly aesthetic appeal for me.  I figure that if I need a reel with more line capacity, then I can go with a larger diameter reel, rather than going with a wider version of the same reel.

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 16, 2012, 02:38:07 PM
Quote from: saltydog on September 16, 2012, 02:30:23 PM
All depends on how you look at it saltydog. I'm not just talking  2.5" width spool, I also mentioned an aluminum spool and frame. I've never seen an aluminum spool on a 10/0.
This would be the reel, not like that fancy stuff that they're coming out with today. Older design were better...just my opinion.
Sal
I know what you mean, Sal.  After comparing the guts of my 10/0 to the smaller Senators, I can easily see how it's getting into the world of truly big game reels.  I can imagine what a brute it would be with a stronger aluminum frame. 

BTW I would like to have an aluminum spool for my narrowed 113.  I don't think Penn ever made an aluminum spool for the Longbeach 66.  Perhaps Newell did.  Does anyone know? 
viurem lliures o morirem

john2244

George,
I really like your 113.  I have an extra 113 and I think that will be one of my winter projects this year.
John

Ron Jones

So,

I happen to have two Black Side 4/0s, and Long Beaches are reasonably available and not all that expensive. I would do this only to have something different. Any reason I couldn't use the seat and bars from a long beach? It wouldn't be as strong as Nwell or Tib parts, but they would be a matched set of conversation pieces.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

George4741

Thanks John.

Ron, the 113 has a 6-screw foot, and the Longbeach a 4-screw foot.  That's why I went with the Newell reel foot.  I also assembled it to have something a little different.  It's only advantage (if any) over a 113H YTS is my reel has a little more torque when cranking.  Certainly a narrowed 113H will outshine it in every other way.
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

thank you very much for your photos and all of this wonderful info.  this is definitely wrench-worthy!  if you would send me a pm with your shipping info, i will send it out.  please copy and paste this in with your pm, otherwise i might include a bill!!!!!  hard for me to keep track of things......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Nice reel

Quote from: George4741 on September 16, 2012, 07:16:11 AM
My only concern is the 3-piece spool distorting with the use of mono.  We'll see....  

Fill the spool at least 1/2 way with Spectra or Dacron and mono problems are reduced.  Better yet is a topshot from 15' to 200' or more depending on need and preference and a full spool of braided line.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Quote from: alantani on September 20, 2012, 02:52:46 AM
thank you very much for your photos and all of this wonderful info.  this is definitely wrench-worthy!  if you would send me a pm with your shipping info, i will send it out.  please copy and paste this in with your pm, otherwise i might include a bill!!!!!  hard for me to keep track of things......   :-\

Thank you, Alan.  However, you sent me a wrench two weeks ago.  I'm not worthy of a second one. ;D

Quote from: Keta on September 20, 2012, 03:01:10 AM
Nice reel

Quote from: George4741 on September 16, 2012, 07:16:11 AM
My only concern is the 3-piece spool distorting with the use of mono.  We'll see.... 

Fill the spool at least 1/2 way with Spectra or Dacron and mono problems are reduced.  Better yet is a topshot from 15' to 200' or more depending on need and preference and a full spool of braided line.

Thanks, Lee.  Will do. 
viurem lliures o morirem