113(Black)YTS or Grouper Special?

Started by George4741, September 16, 2012, 07:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

Quote from: George4741 on February 03, 2013, 09:40:06 PM
Quote from: RowdyW on January 21, 2013, 08:02:35 PM

I pulled these gears out of the parts box again & 1 has 17 teeth & 3 have 16 teeth.

Does anyone know what reel would have a 17 tooth pinion gear?  I need one for a project I've been mulling over.
Hi George, according to MysticParts the 13-85 pinion fits the 60, 65, 78, 79, 80[conv.], 85, 125, 285m, & 309 .  The 13-200 fits the 100m, 150, 200m, & 350m .        Rudy

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

George4741

John and Rudy,
I should have mentioned that I need a 17 tooth pinion gear that meshes with a 3-66 main gear.  The 13-85 won't work. :(

Rudy,
I tried installing a 3-66 bridge and 13-49 pinion in my 113.  My reel will need a little more work than yours.  Because of the slight offset of the main gear, it rubs against the inside of the sideplate.  I would have to enlarge the hole for the main gear.  Other than that, this mod looks feasable.
viurem lliures o morirem

RowdyW

George, I've done 5 now & the last one I used a new plate & new main gear & I see where it is binding. I just touched it up with a small sanding drum. No need to remove much, only a very little in line with the pinion & main gear. I guess the other 4 had a little wear on the main gear that I didn't have any clearance probelms. You only have to remove about .010-.015 of an inch toward the center. Those 113 gears sure don't have a lot of clearance in that plate. Let me know how that works out.     Rudy

SeaDawg

Quote from: George4741 on September 16, 2012, 07:16:11 AM
My only concern is the 3-piece spool distorting with the use of mono.  We'll see....

Fill the spool at least 1/2 way with Spectra or Dacron and mono problems are reduced.  Better yet is a topshot from 15' to 200' or more depending on need and preference and a full spool of braided line.
[/quote]

Could you guys explain in some detail what it is that mono will do to cause distorting?? And how Dacron/Spectra will help the problem??

Thanks in advance :)
God created the fishing pole to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world...........

DISCLAIMER: All information posted by me anywhere on the internet is purely for entertainment purposes. Information in my postings cannot be relied upon as, nor considered, factual. Thank you.

Keta

All line stretches some, mono far worse than Dacron and Spectra.  When mono stretches it gets thinner, load it on a spool tight and when the pressure is off it wants to return to it's normal width causing it to press on the sides of the spool and warping it.  Dacron and Spectra don't do this.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

I've experienced my first grouper special issue.

This is the 5th reel I've done and the first with side plate clearance issues. This one seems extreme as the spacer on the sleeve hits the side plate and the reel is hard to turn from the gear rubbing the plate. Before I take a sander to the plate, is their anything someone can think of that I did wrong?

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

RowdyW

When you changed the bridge it offsets the sleeve & main gear about .025 toward the center. Just a little touch with a sanding drum is all it needs. That seems to happen with plates that haven't had much use or new plates or main gears that have no wear. Read Georges comments above & my explanation under his question.         Rudy

Ron Jones

Finally got this one done and back together. I think all my others were rubbing a bit and I didn't notice. This one works nice and easy and looks great with Alan's crank arm and Kolekar grip.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

broschro

Ron Jones

The only Newell part you "need" is a yellow tail special stand, but the bars are really nice to have.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Keta

Thanks to all that helped me get my Grouper Special together.  As soon as I get a handle I'll post photos.  Sometime in the near future I'll have the spool and rings powder coated.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

jig-guy

Hi Gang! So much to learn from all of you. Also thank all of you here for your information, GREAT INFORMATION.;D
I have 2 113's and would appreciate the resipe of parts to make them a 1+5 drag system. I am installing Alans gear sleeves and I will verify the gear material when I take the reels down.
I am keeping the reels stock as far as gear ratio. I have used my old 6/0 that is slow and I don't have a problem with slow.
I look forward to replies from from you guys.
TL :)
jig-guy / Bill Nelson

George4741

Hi Bill,
First, disassemble your reels and see if you have a 3 or 5 drag washer stack.  If you have a 3 washer stack you'll need one more eared and one more keyed metal washer.  Then, for one-stop-shopping, it's best to contact Dawn at Smoothdrag for all of the parts.  Tell her you need her #140 set plus two more carbontex washers, and one eared and one keyed metal washers for a 1+5 drag stack.  Tell her it is for your black 113, not the different 113H.  You'll also need an ounce of Cal's drag grease to lube the washers; Dawn has that, too.  The #140 set includes one smaller carbontex washer that is installed under the main gear.  Assemble your drag stack as described in the following thread:  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4191.0

Good luck,
George
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

My Grouper Special is almost finished, I just need a left bearing and .020" CF drag washers, I have some .020" metal drag washers.  I'll post photos when I get everything.

Mark Twain

jig-guy

George4741, Hi & thank you for the follow up on my post.
I have all the parts to go through these 2 reels. I hope to complete these reel up grades within the week. I have Alan's SS gear sleeves. All new Smoooth Drag #5, and new carbontex drag washers + new metal drag washers sets. New main S-Steel main gears. New cluthch springs. One new half frame.
I am going to replace all of the scews (reels were not washed, greased and messed up the scews and one half frame + frame posts and finnaly the star drag wheels were bent.  A little fresh water goes a long way when you get home from fishing.
Anyway thank you and all the contributors to this post for the information and help restoring these old school Penn reels. I am old school and fish old school reels because I like them, caught lots of fish in my life with these great reels.
TL Bill