113(Black)YTS or Grouper Special?

Started by George4741, September 16, 2012, 07:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

I know this is old, but I keep digging and finding information. What makes the Senator more desirable? The way I see it is the 66 has an open top, 2.5 gear ratio, the same gear sleeve and drags. Will the outside rings and 3 screw stand increase rigidity to the point that it offsets the 66s advantages?

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

George4741

Quote from: noyb72 on October 17, 2012, 04:06:17 AM
I know this is old, but I keep digging and finding information. What makes the Senator more desirable? The way I see it is the 66 has an open top, 2.5 gear ratio, the same gear sleeve and drags. Will the outside rings and 3 screw stand increase rigidity to the point that it offsets the 66s advantages?

Ron

1.  Some, including myself, prefer the looks of the Senator with the chrome beauty rings. 

2.  For advertising sake, Penn takes some liberties with the gear ratios on many of their reels.  The Longbeach is really 1:2.28.  So, miniscule advantage there.  If I wanted speed I would have narrowed my 113H. 

3.  I doubt anyone will notice the rigidity, or lack of, in the practical sense.

I wanted it to be an exercise in the tradition of the old days when reel enthusiasts' would modify a reel to suit their needs (whether real or imagined) and fill a gap in the Penn line.  They are sometimes called "frankenreels".  If I look at the bottom line, it isn't worth it.  It isn't going to take the fishing world by storm and I doubt more than one or two others modify their 113.  I like narrow reels and I just wanted it. ;D

viurem lliures o morirem

Ron Jones

Great, just so everyone understands, I'm looking for a couple cheap longbeaches to convert my 2 113s. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a significant advantage. To me 2.28 to 2.0 is still a 1/8th increase in speed. If this reel is fished at the top of the spool that adds several inches of line per crank, I like that idea, but I to like the beuty rings and the extra protection the rings offer the sideplates.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Ron Jones

So,

If you were going to troll these, what would be the recommended line?

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

George4741

Quote from: noyb72 on October 19, 2012, 05:57:40 AM
So,

If you were going to troll these, what would be the recommended line?

Ron

I'm debating between 40 and 50lb line (actually dacron topped with mono to prevent spool spread) at 12-15lb drag.  I gotta mention, though, I have a steel main gear and a stainless gear sleeve.  I think mine will hold up more than those reels with the brass/bronze main gear.  With them I wouldn't exceed 40lb.  Hopefully some of the other members will give their recommendations.

Quote from: noyb72 on October 17, 2012, 07:42:41 PM
I'm looking for a couple cheap longbeaches to convert my 2 113s. 

Ron, are you thinking of narrowing your 113's?   
  George 
viurem lliures o morirem

Ron Jones

I was done thinking about it when I saw this thread. I'm the kind of guy that can't leave enough alone. Besides, If you narrow a 113 with a 66 then you can use all your spare parts to make  a 67. I've got a stainless sleeve and drags coming. I want to use these (the 113 narrow) row trolling just outside the surf.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

George4741

Quote from: noyb72 on October 20, 2012, 02:43:24 AM
I'm the kind of guy that can't leave enough alone.
Ron

Hmmm, where have I seen this before. ;)  Ron, you fit in with the rest of the folks here. ;D
viurem lliures o morirem

john2244

Thanks to George for sharing his Penn 113 with us I have set up two 113's.  I will use one for trolling with 65# braid and a 50 yard top shot of 50# mono.  The other reel I will set up with 50# braid spliced to 65# braid with a short top shot of 40# mono or FC.
John

Ron Jones

Yah John, yours with the Accurate frame is gorgeous! Mine won't look anythin like that.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

john2244

Thanks Ron.  It will be very interesting to see how the gears hold up to a 50# tuna.
John

George4741

John, you went first class.  But then, you often do.  I remember the photos of your Penn Internationals.  Classy all the way.

Ron, I want to clarify my line recommendations.  Alan (if I may quote you, Alan) recommended in one thread that the 113 with a stainless gear sleeve is a 40lb reel with 12lb drag.  I imagine that is with a brass main gear.  With a steel main gear I think I can push mine a little more.

One more thing, my 113 benched at 23lb drag with the 1+5 drag stack, so its possible to get into trouble quickly and overstress things.  I'll just have to be disciplined and not overdue it. ;D
viurem lliures o morirem

Ron Jones

I definitely prefer to use 75% or less of my drag setting. I know I have 1 brass gear, I need to crack open the other to see what it has. Out of my four current projects, I ended up with a 113H with accurate gears, a 112H with a steel gear that I have a Tuna Special kit for and the two 113s. They will all end up with stainless sleeves and all the drag I can stuff into them. I've caught good sized thresher sharks (hung over both sides of a 14 foot beam boat) on a 4/0 not set up anywhere near as well, so I think my spread will be ready for whatever I want to play with in a 13 foot Melonseed. I love reading Hemmingway, but I don't know that I'm ready to redo the "Old Man and the  Sea"!

If anyone is willing to part with two steel main gears or a 66 for a decent price, I'm in the market.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

john2244

Ron,

I have an extra set of 113 steel gears you can have.  Send me a message with your address and I will send them out on Monday.

John

Keta

Quote from: George4741 on October 17, 2012, 06:49:00 PM
it isn't worth it.  It isn't going to take the fishing world by storm and I doubt more than one or two others modify their 113.  I like narrow reels and I just wanted it. ;D

Yup on every point.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

So,

I opened up my last 113 and it had a steel gear. Santa in a Bryan Young suit dropped off a bunch of goodies last night and so I went to work. It now has a 5+1 drag with the fiber washer on the bottom, I'll swap it over to Carbontex here shortly, A steel sleeve, oil and grease wherever it's supposed to be. By the way, it is surprising if you screw up the dog and the reel turns backward!!

I will put this in a 66 spool and bars as soon as the reel shows up, so I didn't take anytime polishing or cleaning. The reel started with zero free spool, now it has about 12-15 seconds with no line! Can't wait for it to go narrow and get fished. Now all I need is another beater 66 to put John's gears in. I'm not shure if I'll put 2 67s together with all the spare parts or part them out.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"