newell p-235-5

Started by Fishaholic, September 10, 2009, 08:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishaholic

I gota know!!! Are they worth getting ? 

alantani

i like 'em just fine.  get a carbontex drag set, grease and maybe new bearings and you'll do fine.  there is even a kolekar handle upgrade if you're feeling a little crazy. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fishaholic

There are three reels that i am looking at. They are the Newell P229-5 or P235-5, Penn International 975 CSLD, and the Shimano Calcutta 700 series.  I have also been hearing great things about this avet sx.  Me and my wife are both going to buy one and stick it on a star plasma rod 7 and 7.5 foot long and we will be using 20 lb mono, havent tried the braided yet.  I fish off land, florida, tarpon, snook, on a boat, deep sea, grouper, cobia, dolphin, and I fish in the river, huge stripper, and catfish.  I want a baitcaster that is reliable, durability ect.  What is your opinion ?

alantani

well, i can tell you what i personally bought.  i got a pair of shimano calcutta 300 te's, spooled them up with straight 50# braid and mounted them on a pair of trevala rods.  figured i'd splurge a little.  they're really smooth! alan

Fishaholic

Alan thank you for you time and advice. Just to here you say shimano is an ear full. I think they are the way to go. My wife is stuck on the newell R-229-5 and not budgin. I am hearing ALL my fishing friends and the majority of the people on the net saying the same thing GO SHIMANO... I watched the spanish fly this morning and there was Jose  tearin up HUGE tarpin and permits with a trinidad 20 on a calcuta rod.I am going to look at the 300.
I dont know how to find the cabontex drag set or the bearings you mentioned. I am going to charkbait to buy the newell so do I tell him or can I work w/you?
                                    Thank you very much

alantani

for the inshore fishing that i do, an ambassaduer would have been just fine.  i just figured, "hey, i'm worth it!"  you still need to switch out the drag washers and service the bearings.  for the $350 price tag, you'd think shimano would have done that for you.  to get greased carbon fiber drag washers, however, you have to spend $800 and buy the trinidad DC.