Penn 146 suidder junior

Started by barnacle, July 21, 2015, 01:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barnacle

I have an old Penn 146 which I would like to install new bearings on.  Can you please give me some advice on where I can get the proper bearings?  Also, I would like to know if there are ceramic bearings for both side bearings of this reel.  Lastly, I read somewhere that there are some stainless steel parts from the Penn Surfmaster reels that are interchangeable with the Penn 146.  Is this so and what parts are they?

Thanks for any help/advice that you can offer.

Bill

mike1010

Scott's for the stock bearings:  https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn146L.aspx.  I don't know about ceramic bearings.  The frame posts and reel foot are interchangeable between the 146 and Surfmaster 100, and a few other parts.

Mike

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Doug

You can go to mysticparts.com for most parts including bearings another option is smoothdrag .com  who may also have ceramic bearings as well as  drag replacement parts. Bryan Young on this site  has a 5+1 drag replacement and some SS parts Look at Upgrades by Bryan Young under the for sale section on this site. Hope this helps

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

mike1010

Doug

The only SS parts  I am know of for the 146 are SS AR dog , maybe the yoke and Alan Tani's SS gear sleeve . I think Bryan also has the gear sleeve and the SS dogs. From time to time there was a guy on Ebay that sold SS posts for this reel but I have not seen them in awhile. There is one other upgrade available but it is expensive , a full aluminum frame from Tibruon

Bryan Young

Hi Bill,

Welcome.  Jumping in with both feet I see.

SS Gear Sleeve - Alan Tani may have the SS gear sleeve.  I am completely out and I haven't re-stocked. 

SS Dog - Lee "Keta" is awaiting a reel for fitment of the SS dogs.  Therefore, SS dogs are still not available for the squidders.

5+1 Drag Upgrade Kit - I have these in stock and would be a great improvement to the 6 or so # of drag you are getting with the stock set.  My kit will bump the drags up to a conservative 10# of drag if needed.

Bearings - For ceramics, I would recommend Boca Bearings in Florida.  I'm not sure if SmoothDrag carries ceramic bearings.  I only fish Stainless Steel bearings as the races of ceramic bearings still need to be coated with a lubricant for rust protection slowing down the bearings.

I cannot think of anything else that could be needed...

Good luck and welcome.  If you run into any snags, just ping us here.  We are all here to help out.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

barnacle

Thanks for all of your replies guys.  Your help is much appreciated.

Bill

Doug

Hi Bill I almost forgot there is one more cheap upgrade that is well worth looking at. Pro challenger also on this site makes a heavy duty spacing sleeve that will reduce handle slop and help  to tighten things up and keep the gears aligned for under $4 a good upgrade that I have used on a number of reels and works very well  Doug

barnacle

Hi Doug. I searched for that member (Pro Challenger) and I can't find any member with that name.

Tightlines667

Quote from: barnacle on July 21, 2015, 10:42:01 PM
Hi Doug. I searched for that member (Pro Challenger) and I can't find any member with that name.

Alan Chui's username is: Black Pearl

http://alantani.com/index.php?action=buddy;u=771;sesc=7e70c05987af9f0a34634998af785c7b
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Doug

Black Perl is pro challenger look on the for sale section  under pro challenger upgradesfor his web site and upgrades