Penn Squall 15 Factory Bearing re oil procedures

Started by Mardar1, September 26, 2012, 04:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardar1

I have a new Squall 15  and I was told to take it apart and clean the factory grease and  re oil bearing( what kind)for better distance casting. Has anyone have any tip and pitfalls on doing this service. Is there a tutorial out on this reel. I really want some help before I take it apart- Help

alantani

bryan worked on the last one.  don't know if he took any pictures.  here the post on bearings. 

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures.   I was pleasantly surprised in the improvements that was implemented in the Penn Squall.

The reel, like many Penn reels is straight forward.  One thing that is different than other lever drag reels is that the Squalls have a thrust bearing under the pinion bearing, and be sure to note the order as the thrust bearing comes out in 3 pieces.  I also try to pack the thrust bearing because it's a part of the pinion bearing system.

Other than that, spool bearings, opened and lubed with your favorite thin oil for better free spool.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask, and post pictures.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

teff35

Hello,

I tried to remove the spindle bearings in my squall and degrease them and I could not get them out for the life of me. I have done some reel work before but never on this type of reel and I am having a time trying to get them out.

Any suggestions or videos I could watch? Do the bearings have a housing that maybe I was tugging on instead of the bearings themselves?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Natarach

For better casting?

Hope this help http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=5939.0

I have free spool problem with my FTH15  just clean and re oil 2 spool bearings  now it spins a lot better will try cast it soon but Im sure it will be better  (flick the spool and it spins 10 sec.  before re oil.  And 40sec. After re oil)

teff35

Ya, for better casting.

Thank you for this. I appreciate it. I was just having a time trying to get the bearings out of the spindle. From the link you sent it looks like i might have been beneath the bearing and tugging on the lip of the bearing housing.

I will have to try to give it another try.

I thought about swapping out the bearings on this. I saw you can get abec 7's for about $30 for this reel.

Thanks again,

SoCalAngler

I don't think Abec 7's would give you much if any more freespool while casting.

Which bearing are you having a problem with? The one on the right in the frame is held in by a clip. This clip, part number 26R, needs to be removed to get that bearing out. The spool bearing are pretty easy to access. On the right side of the spool you need to remove part number 71B to get to that bearing and on the left of the spool you need to pop off the click gear part number 81 to get that bearing out. Use a blade screwdriver on the bottom of the click gear and lightly pry it up, it will pop off.

Are you sure you have the mag cast control fully backed off? If it is not you will loose freespool.

I did a service to a friends SQL 15, cleaned and lubed the bearings with TSI and I think I got the reel to around 30-35 seconds of freespool.

Natarach

In my opinion stock bearings that comes with the reel is good enough. I just soak it in the degreaser  then  oil it. 

teff35

Socalangler,

Ya, I was able to get both of the sides of the spindle free and clear from the clutch pin and then the click gear on the other side and I could still not get them out. I will try again.

Thank you for the advice on the bearings. I will just try to go with a good de-greasing and good oil.

Thanks again,

teff35

Hello,

I appreciate the responses here and need some more help.

I as able to take of the parts from both sides of the spool but could not get the bearings out. In my tugging and trying to I think I might have cracked a bearing.

I took the reel out fishing yesterday and the first couple of casts were good and fine but then I made a really good cast and upped the sinker once and the real sounded like it was hissing or the like. I cast again and the same thing.

Now, I have never heard a cracked bearing on a reel before but I have on other things and it was making a similar sound to my experiences of cracked bearings.

I took the spool out to see if there was any sand or what not and there was not.

Is it possible I could I have cracked the bearing while pulling on it? I assume so. And what am I doing wrong? I didn't think it would be this difficult to pull them out after getting them free and clear. At this point, assuming the bearing is cracked, I need to replace them but can't get them out, haha. So I find myself in quite the pickle. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Fish-aholic

Is there any lateral play with the spool that's set by a gold spool float knob? When no lateral play is in place (0.5mm is enough), the spool bearings can whine due to the axial side load placed upon the two spool bearings inner races. With lateral play in place, cast reel again and see if the audio whine eases.

Best way I find to tune a mag control reel for best distance, is to set max mag braking before casting and back it off a click at a time with every cast until line begins to lift. Once that starts happening, click mag a notch to increase mag braking and reel will have the best casting distance setting for the projectile thrown. Remember when changing projectiles especially lighter ones, increase mag control.

HTH ;)

handi2

Once the retainers and click gear are removed push the bearings out instead of pulling on them. A small screwdriver to get the first one out then a small nutdriver to push the last one out. Don't pull. Push from inside the spool.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

teff35

Handi,

Thank you for the advice. That worked. I was able to replace them and everything is running smoothly.

Thank you for the help.