Baja Special fix just for future reference

Started by steelfish, August 28, 2015, 06:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Quote from: steelfish on October 07, 2015, 05:10:27 PM

that exactly noise happens on my 113h if the left side bearing its not tight.
Don't tell Sal that.  :D He won't let me touch the left side bearing.  ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

what Sal didnt told ya it that you will never moved even if you want to... its already welded in there.
The Baja Guy

scharebear

Quote from: steelfish on October 07, 2015, 05:10:27 PM
well, for sometime I though it was normal, but it was until my friend caugh a big fish then the reel couldnt stopped but the problem was that this reel seemed to have 5# drag at the most and the grinding noise was present while the line was getting out the reel.

another culprit could be your left side bearing that could be to "open", the spool should have a minimal play .

the way to check this play is to put your reel in free spool and try to move the spool sideways, its there are a lot of play then than could be de cause of your problem.

tight the left side bearing all the way until you feel not play at all, then just back up the screw a bit util you feel a play but minimal, after that try to repeat the steps on where you have this noise.

The left side bearing seems to be adjusted correctly. I have taken both reels apart to rotate handle position and checked that I have the stronger part that you id'd as the culprit in your friends reel. These reels are nearly brand new, no issues when fish on, so again, can this be considered normal behavior for this reel.

Also had to fix the free spool lever which got stuck, any one ever have this issue? Now repaired but seems much less smooth when using than my other.

that exactly noise happens on my 113h if the left side bearing its not tight.

scharebear

It's been awhile but I am revisiting this topic because I just worked on my US Senators (added Cortex Conversion bridge upgrade) and my reels are now in perfect condition but I would like to update the issue with the continued motion and noise when cranking the reel quickly and stopping suddenly. I do believe it is as Alan Tani said "it's the shoulders of the spool shaft banging against the pinion gear" and I do believe it can be normal. My warning is to not do it repeatedly as it will tear up the shoulder of the spool shaft. I ruined the tiny bearing (#55) trying to get it out of there because of the damage to the shoulders on the spool shaft. I was able to use fine grit sand paper and smooth it out and eventually get new bearing in.