112H HOTROD

Started by saltydog, October 02, 2012, 03:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

Nice work sd - thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

floating doc

With a frame upgrade,  stainless gears and sleeve, and double stainless dogs, will a112H pull 25 POUNDS?
Central Florida

Keta

Quote from: floating doc on June 19, 2013, 03:29:39 AM
With a frame upgrade,  stainless gears and sleeve, and double stainless dogs, will a112H pull 25 POUNDS?

Not yet.  With a octagon adapter and tough CF drags 25lb is a reasonable target.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

raumati01

Would the upgraded frame mean you were able to run braid on it ?

saltydog

yes it can handle braid but I wouldn't put less than 50#, anything less is just too small, I run 80 on mine and have plenty of line.475 yards to be exact packed down.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

floating doc

Quote from: Keta on June 19, 2013, 03:55:22 AM
Quote from: floating doc on June 19, 2013, 03:29:39 AM

Not yet.  With a octagon adapter and tough CF drags 25lb is a reasonable target.

Ok, is the octagon adapter available here, or is this something that I would have to fabricate?
Central Florida

Ron Jones

Lee just sent me one. He is the sole source!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

floating doc

Quote from: noyb72 on June 24, 2013, 04:55:45 AM
Lee just sent me one. He is the sole source!
Ron

Great! Can I get one? I bought a 112HN frame and spool last night!

I'm starting to figure this out: Alan has the sleeves and stainless dogs. I'll need two, and hope I don't ruin the side plate. I only have a vague idea of how to modify the side plate for the second dog.

Then I'll need 5:1 stainless gears and as much drag as possible (I want at least 22 lbs) so that means the hex/eared drag. After that, possibly some new bearings, then finally, a handle.

Sounds right?
Central Florida

Keta

I have some hex adapters still but you would be better off waiting for the next run of octagon ones.  There is a slight chance I have one octagon adapter in a gear in the shop though, I'll look in the morning.  Congratulations on your purchasing the last red 112HN frame.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

With all of these drag improvements being made to the old Penns,

the DRAG RACE is on! :D :D

BTW this is all good stuff.  I like it.
viurem lliures o morirem

Ron Jones

I doubt you will need new bearings, the 112h uses bushings. It still casts great though. ;)
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

floating doc

Quote from: Keta on June 25, 2013, 03:06:51 AM
I have some hex adapters still but you would be better off waiting for the next run of octagon ones.  There is a slight chance I have one octagon adapter in a gear in the shop though, I'll look in the morning.  Congratulations on your purchasing the last red 112HN frame.

Thank you. I agonized over whether to buy this frame. It's a real stretch for me to buy it. I'm just recovering from bankruptcy and the loss of my veterinary practice in 2011 (thanks a lot Well's Fargo).  A couple of months ago I had to plan ahead to buy a pair of sneakers.

Still, as you observed, this was the last one. I couldn't stand it. Now I've got to carry through and build it into the reel it's meant to be, plus build a jigging rod for it. The rod will be easier; I started rod building in 1980.
Central Florida

Keta

I had my legs crushed several years ago and money can be tight, reels keep my hands and mind occupied.

Mark Twain

floating doc

Quote from: noyb72 on June 25, 2013, 04:00:02 AM
I doubt you will need new bearings, the 112h uses bushings. It still casts great though. ;)
Ron

Oh, I thought it was a ball bearing reel. I guess it's closer to the 500 jigmaster than I realized. That's ok by me.

I'm excited!
Central Florida

Alto Mare

You'll be ok with bushings. The 500 and 112H also have the bearing option, but it's not cheap. You'll need to hunt down the Accu-plates. I like bushings on these .
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.