Suitability of narrowing a newell 533 for wahoo

Started by hearncst, October 22, 2012, 04:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hearncst

I have a 440 with new drags etc, but it max's out at around 14# drag thru a rod. Good for maybe 40# .   I assume a 500 series reel has the same drag.(???)  Thus a 533 would have greater line capacity, but would it also have more drag?  Would putting a tiburon narrow frame on it with spool decrease my line capacity too much?  I would hope to use 65 spectra with 50# mono for throwing jigs/bombs- or straight 50# mono?   Yea, I know... just buy a penn baja or a avet hx... Any experience helpful.  ??? ???

day0ne

My understanding is the 200, 300 and 400 series Newells have the same drags and the 500 series have bigger gears and drags. The narrow 533's seem popular for throwing jigs and bombs, but I'm no expert on Newell's. I only have one Newell. (a 332 with Tib frame) and 2 Baja's. BTW, the Avet HXJ's are on sale right now.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

REK

The 440 and the 533 are the same size reels. The 440 has Penn 500 size drag washers. The 533 has larger drag washers. Had 440s back in a day and had them upgraded(gears/washers) when the 533s came out. Have caught many wahoos with the 440s, now 533s. And YFTs +/- 100#s.

kantstudien

The Tiburon 533 narrow kits are an incredible upgrade for any 500 series Newell (won't work with the 3.2:1 gear ratio, but why would you narrow such a reel in the first place?). I also have the standard width topless frame on a P533 Newell since I wanted to keep the aluminum spool. Upgrade the bearings and use Carbontex drags and you have an incredible reel that will last many many seasons.

SantaBarbarian

I just picked up a Tiburon narrow frame and spool kit for my C533 4.6 and have found that the diameter of the spindle ends are different to one another. The new spindle end on the gear side has a larger diameter than the original spools, and won't seat into the original bearing. Funny though, the spindle on the clicker side fits the bearing just fine. I know Newell has changed things around on their reels over their production runs. Did the later P533's come with 2 different bearing sizes, one for each end? Or did Tiburon give me a defective spool??

Gary

Newell Nut

The bearings are the same on both sides. I buy all of my Tiburon frames and spools from Gregg Chow at chowderpuff7@yahoo.com and never had a problem. He is a great guy to deal with and used to do Newells warranty work.