Sweepfire baby!

Started by lyt, October 23, 2012, 02:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyt

I was cracking up yesterday.   So here's the story.....

My sabiki rig spinner was completely shot, would not even spin.  Had to throw it away.... it was a junk spinner anyway.  

So I remember somewhere here reading about these sweepfires, and how Alan landed a 300 lb. tuna on one...  ::)  and how people were saying for a throw away reel they were quite good.  So I bought a 4000 model for like 20 bucks just for my sabiki rig.

WOW--  I was expecting throw away quality......but actually was quite shocked at how great they are.   I actually think I will buy two more for my light tackle setup.   A little yamalube and they will last forever?    Even if I get 3 years (since i do take care of my reels) I feel like at 20 bucks, you just can't go wrong since these are really above average reels for the money.

Now I need to find an equally GREAT but way inexpensive rod to match them up with....any ideas?    I was thinking you cant beat the ugly stik for longevity?
If you keep doing what you've always done...
You'll keep getting what you've always got...

alantani

yes, the sweepfire is my favorite spinning reel.  pull all the bearings and pack them with grease, switch out the felt drag washers for greased carbon fiber load it with 20 yards of 200 pound spectra.  when you drop a bait in the corner and it get's inhaled by that 300 pound yellowfin, jump overboard and go for a ride.  you will eventually float to the surface and they can tag both of you.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

lyt

heh.....

yeah

so when is the tutorial coming :)    lol....  (but still somehow strangely sort of serious!)

spottybastard

I also have three sweepfires for my kayak and inshore and freshwater fishing.  I just fished them strait out of the box.

I second the nomination for a tutorial on these low budget wonders.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Mines a tank. Favorite sabiki/bait reel
Grayson Lanier

lyt

lol....   ok alan      time to humble yourself and do a full write up on the sweepfire....   lol.  

O AND BTW.....   

I am taking nominations for the cheapest 6'6" rod to pair with the sweepfire... not looking for super thin.... still need to be able to land a 10 -15 lb fish with confidence.     (only must is that it has to have double braced guides).

lets see how CHEAP we can get this combo for......   give me your ideas.....   i was looking at an ugly stick     its hard to beat the price.....

Nessie Hunter

I will second the Ugly Stick...
I have 2 of them.. 
1 - Ultra Light & 1 - 50# class... 
Love them both.....
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Alto Mare

Don't know much about the sweepfire but the ugly stick would also be my choice...best $30 I ever spent. Most of my spinners are mounted on ugly sticks, they've been good to me.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

lyt

well there u have it guys....   

I suppose you could put this down as the cheapest rod reel combo that doesn't leave you feeling like you bought a load of junk.

Sweepfire + Ugly stik.

now which one should i get.....  i like a beefier rod....   and with a 4000 sweepfire....   not sure.....   i do prefer a 6'6"    i guess amazon is the best price.....

George4741

Quote from: lyt on October 23, 2012, 02:44:59 PM

So I remember somewhere here reading about these sweepfires, and how Alan landed a 300 lb. tuna on one...  ::) 

Alan, which model was that with, the 2B or RA? ;) 
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

TomT

yes, the sweepfire is my favorite spinning reel.  pull all the bearings and pack them with grease, switch out the felt drag washers for greased carbon fiber load it with 20 yards of 200 pound spectra.  when you drop a bait in the corner and it get's inhaled by that 300 pound yellowfin, jump overboard and go for a ride.  you will eventually float to the surface and they can tag both of you.   Alan

I can't seem to get this right.  Do you have pictures and a tutorial for this?? 
Tom   

johndtuttle

heheh  ;D

Sweepfires pwnz all!

lol I thought I was the only cheap skate that picked one up for $20 when an old trout reel crapped out. I think I put about 100 yards of 4 lb test on it.

Fished it once up in the Sierras this fall. A massive 12" stocker actually took a nice run on it (zzzzt) at least a yard or so but it sure was awsome to hear the drag chirp (if only for second ;D). I popped the cover just for kicks and found one drag washer (ubercarbonultratech) and one (count'em one) bearing a lot of plastic, some pot metal gears and ...wait for it...a mechanical dog! Sal will be happy!  ;D.

Some one has to take one for the team and do a 50 image photo epic tutorial :).

smnaguwa

Great info. What size carbon fiber drag washer do I need?

alantani

not sure.  it's a tiny one, though.  probably a #56-7000, but measure yours and check the list.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

lyt

ok...someone please answer the following question......I'm trying to figure this out.

The sweepfires are great reels because:

a)  It's the same quality as other cheap reels, but it costs less than the other cheap reels, and therefore better value for money.
b)  There are actually better/decent components in the sweepfire, and therefore it's better quality.
c)  It looks pretty, so it must be good.
d)  There is a reason, but no one knows why.
e)  Alan likes it, therefore it must be good.
f)   It's a Daiwa thing ....you wouldn't understand.
g)  It is poor quality, and we have all been duped into liking them by taking the blue pill.