TUTORIAL: Abu Mörrum 6600CL

Started by Killerbug, October 26, 2012, 10:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Killerbug

I got a Mörrum in for service resently, and thought I would share it with you.  The ABU Mörrum, was ABU's answer to the Calcutta, aimed at the Japanese market.  Some says it is a much better reel than the Calcuttas, but I have never fished it myself.  As you can see the Mörrums are merely a classic, pimped with a sexy alu frame.  The guy owing it, told me he was not impressed with the casting performance of this reel, so I tried to see if some cleaning, and low level tuning would help.

This is not a very detailed tutor, and I was just trying to get a few more yards out of this relatively unused reel, but in case you have to service one yourself, the pictures might help re sampling the clutch mechanism.  The Mörrum an easy reel to work on, so don't hesitate trying this at home ;)

Remove the handle, shims, and star drag screw.

Then remove the two screws holding the right sideplate in place, and lift it off.

The clean the IAR, and the sideplate bearings, In this case I oiled them both with Rocket Fuel

Lift off the main gear and throw the stock washers in the dust bin. Also clean the the pinion gear(I polished the inside a little bit for more freespool).

I had prepared some Carbon Matrix washers, that I have from a classic. The will fit perfectly into the Morrum.  

Remove the driveshaft, clean it together with the bearing under it.

Clean and lube the clutch mechanism, don't forget to place some grease in the small trench, hosting the driveshaft beaering.

Re sample the driveshaft, gears, and pinion, and mount it on the sideplate.

Remove the e-clip, and the plastic cap at the end of the levelvind(not shown in this pic)

Remove the left sideplate

Remove the e-clip holding the coq wheel, then lift it of, to get to the levelvind.

Remove the two screws, holding the levelvind.

Clean the levelvind, and oil it.  Then re-mount the coq wheel. I used a little Magnalube to grease the wheel, and a drop of oil
on the wheel shaft.

Next step was to open and clean both spool bearings, this subject has been describes in several posting before, so I do not go into details with that, as the
spool design of the Morrum is quite straight forward. In this case I removed all four bearing shields, cleaned the bearings, and lubed them with Rocket Fuel.

Re-mount the handle, re-sample the reel, and finish.
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

Alto Mare

It looks pretty detailed to me, Killerbug. You always take some nice  pictures, thanks for sharing.
Did it do any better?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Killerbug

Thanks, no I did not hear anything yet, so I guess he is ok with it.  Normally people will let you know, when the reels are not performing up to their
expectations.

Bryan Young

That's pretty good Killerbug since you left out the details  ;).

that's a nice reel.  I would love to have this reel since I love my Abu 6500C3.  The solid alum. frame looks like I could feel comfortable fishing with 20# spectra/dyneema.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

Nice work Morten - thanks for sharing.
The Morrum looks like a cracker little reel.
QuoteNormally people will let you know, when the reels are not performing up to their
expectations.
So true - we only get the bad news ;)
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Killerbug

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 26, 2012, 07:58:39 PM
That's pretty good Killerbug since you left out the details  ;).

that's a nice reel.  I would love to have this reel since I love my Abu 6500C3.  The solid alum. frame looks like I could feel comfortable fishing with 20# spectra/dyneema.

I will make it a bit more detailed next time, but I have been pretty busy doing reels lately. Mostly sea reels actually, from which I have no experince, but this site really helps  ;D

Seachaser

If he does not like it, I would offer to buy it from him if I were you.  They are rare as hen's teeth and will keep going up.

ez2cdave

Quote from: Killerbug on October 26, 2012, 10:48:27 AM
I got a Mörrum in for service resently, and thought I would share it with you.  The ABU Mörrum, was ABU's answer to the Calcutta, aimed at the Japanese market.  Some says it is a much better reel than the Calcuttas, but I have never fished it myself.  As you can see the Mörrums are merely a classic, pimped with a sexy alu frame.  The guy owing it, told me he was not impressed with the casting performance of this reel, so I tried to see if some cleaning, and low level tuning would help.

This is not a very detailed tutor, and I was just trying to get a few more yards out of this relatively unused reel, but in case you have to service one yourself, the pictures might help re sampling the clutch mechanism.  The Mörrum an easy reel to work on, so don't hesitate trying this at home ;)

All PICS are GONE ... Any chance of RE-POSTING this ???

Mooki

Something like 40 BCs, mostly ABU. Still counting upwards...

ez2cdave