Penn 200 Clicker Replacement

Started by RJELECTRIC, November 02, 2012, 11:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJELECTRIC

I have to replace the clicker tongue in my 200 surfmaster. I drilled out the existing button and tongue and ordered new ones from mysticparts.com. The website says to "peen" the new one into place. I'm not quite sure what that means. Is there a procedure for this? I can't seem to find much info on this topic. I'd be greatful for any advice. Thanks Ron

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Cone

Peening is displacing metal. You will have to assemble it together and tap it to spread the metal so it wont come apart. Poor description but I'm sure with the parts in your hand you'll figure it out. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Irish Jigger

Before you "peen" ie rivet the Click Button /Click Tongue together I would  check if a three part replacement assembly comprising,Click Tongue,Click Button and Retaining Ring is available for this reel. No "peening" required.

mizmo67

I've added a better description of the process to the parts in our online store that need peening done, so hope that helps folks in the future.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

scrinch

Just a warning....this isn't something that's usually done indoors. You don't want visitors to see you peen in your shop, so you should take the tools and do it out by the back fence!   ;)

oc1

The important thing is to make sure the click button on the outside is supported on something solid and the bakelite is not touching anything solid.  When you whack the end of the shaft on the inside, you want all the force to go into the button shaft and then the anvil or other hard surface.  Otherwise, you will blow out the plastic side plate.  You will also need a punch about the diameter of the button shaft or a little smaller.  Trying to hit it directly with a hammer is courting disaster.  I'm one out of two and will get the 'C' clip thing next time.
-steve