Pro EX30 2spd loss of freespool

Started by Brendan, November 25, 2012, 05:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brendan

Just serviced the reel and upon completion in free spool the spool appears to be shifted to the handle side of the reel in free spool mode. It spins well if tilted left but comes to a stop tilted right. Can this be caused by a mild claps of the #37 Belleville Washers? It was flawless before. Thanks all in advance, Brendan.

alantani

there is a rotor between the two drag washers.  you can set them up on tall pins or low pins.  from the factory, they are set on the tall pins.  do you know which ones you used?  and the bellevilles are in the proper configuration? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Brendan

Thank you Alan, clips were on the wrong pins.
Thanks again, Brendan.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

skneip49

Hmm, just took mine apart, back together after degreasing and oiling the spool bearings, greased the drag washers. Put clips on the tall pins. Freespools OK, but when I tip it to the right side, it slows down, can hear the drag washers.

Going to go check my EX 30W, see if it acts the same way.
Nope, something wrong, I just lost an E Clip! Dang it!

skneip49

So, ordered clips from Avet. Borrowed one from my EX30W. Still binding on the drag when tipped to the right. Found some skinny spacers in the washers collection in the garage, thought I'd try that in a couple of different places, inside and outside of the spool. No improvement. Thinking I'll take it on my trip, August 5-11 and try fishing it. Probably drop it and a Penn 30S at Ken's in Oceanside on the way home Sunday the 12th to have them ready for November 7 day.

skneip49

So, follow up is that I still have the same problem, spool slows when reel is tilted to the right. Is there a fix for this involving a spacer needed or maybe out of place? I'm fishing it on the trip departing on Saturday the 12th. Will quickly adapt to making sure my cast follow through has the reel tilted to the left, but sure would like to resolve this problem.

Brendan

It's been a while since I opened this one up. Mine was corrected with the clips.
If they are in the wrong location it made a obvious difference. After that I don't know what it could be.
Tight lines,Brendan.

skneip49

Thanks, Brendan. It's the "after that" where I find myself. The reel has been opened up a number of times, complete service including greased drags and oiled bearings and clips in the correct spot. Problem persists so I'm thinking about some other solution. Perhaps a spacer but I don't know where I might need to put it.

I'm fishing a 14 day and plan to use it. If it's still a concern, I will send it to Avet and let them have a look.

akfish

The grease on the drag washers must be very, very light, like almost not there. Too much grease and the drag washers will drag in free spool.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska