shimano titanos gt 3000.

Started by wallacewt, November 26, 2012, 01:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

i have 3 reels to service
2 x tld 25. no problems there.
1 x shimano titanos gt 3000 conventional.
no schematics,is there a tutorial for a similar reel.
any help appreciated.cheers

Bryan Young

Hi Wallace,

I don't think you will have a problem tied the GT. all Shimano stars are similar. If you have opened up one, you'll do just fine.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Irish Jigger

wallacewt

ok thanks
i  looked it up and they started making these titanos reels in 1969.  this one is (japan) in very good condition. the level wind is the old type and wobbles around a lot.  dont like it.  if i was going to fish it like the owner is id get rid of the level wind. spacers under the pawl wont help.  i finished the 2 tld,s so ill have a go tomorrow on the gt 3000. ive never seen one before. your parcel hasnt arrived yet irish. cheers

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

hello wallace! it looks like it's the TLD star's levelwind version... ;D

Irish Jigger

Hi Wallace, spares will be hard to find given the age of the reel.  Re the parcel,you did advise me not to hold my breath. ;)

wallacewt

well i got the titanos gt 3000 finished,  and what an amazing reel! ill try and post the photos.  here goes. ill add captions later if it works.
(1st pic) is what i use, blue tub teflon grease, mx3 spray outside of reel,(sml/btle)mx5 bearings when i dont want to use tsi.(gold)  (2 pic,) tld25 in kitchen tray. (3 pic)  gt easily comes apart. 3 screws on left side plate or 3 thumb screws on handle side. (4 pic)  cleaned,packed bearing. tsi301 level wind,spool had no line on it,wiped.  i thought shaft was a fixture.(later)

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wallacewt

bryan i can only post 4 at a time and the 2nd 4 went missing ???
(5 pic) take handle off,remove 1large 3 sml screws and the engine comes away. its all nice and clean and greased,but ill re-do it. drag under main gear is torn up so ill replace all 4 washers.dont know what they are ,could be cf. ill make new ones,might be hard to get and not worth the hassel. (6pic) same. (7 pic) washers greased and wiped and everything put back together. (8 pic) next i loaded 40lb braid(its only temporary) 5lb bucket water and tested the drag!!! lifted the bucket, nice smooth drag, lowered the bucket and the spool went into reverse and retrieved a couple of inches of line.WHAT!so i did it another 1/2 dozen times,why, you may ask.well i dont know why.so i left it. ill try again tomorrow.

wallacewt

oh no there they are
`so i went to bed and could not stop thinking about the reel. i did what anybody else would do.  i got up,  it was 3.10 am. upon closer inspection there was an,  e clip and a, c clip on the shaft.off they come and the truth is revealed. a recoil spring, its meant to reverse. whats it for? thats for you lot to work out.ha!im happy, back together again.but wait theres more.in the final photo you will see a line holder. its spring loaded and its in the handle nut.very clever.
final word,ally spool, 10kg/20kg line, 400m+ of braid,5lb drag,lota fun. 

alantani

very nice!  for small quantites of washers, you might look at one of these.  http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MAYHEW-Hollow-Punch-Set-5MM18  it's a punch set to make washers.  they come in inch and metric.  i'm guessing metric alone would work for you.  they are very handy!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

you are right al,i do need a set.
wonder what the aussies will charge ::)

alantani

twice! it would probably be cheaper for me to buy it here and ship it.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

im going into town tomorrow.ill let you know

wallacewt

hi alan, went to bunnings hardware,one of aust; largest shops,they dont sell them.hollow hole punch that is.the quest begins.