Abu 6000 "Locked Up"

Started by gofish_AK, December 06, 2012, 03:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gofish_AK

Hi:
    I've done quite a few basic repairs to Abu's in the past, but have run into a new problem when looking at a couple of my buddy's reels. He has two reels, both with the same issue. The spool seems to be stuck somehow. It is extremely difficult to reel and it is also difficult to pull line when in free-spool, even with the tension loosened all the way. I took both of them apart, cleaned them, and couldn't really see anything wrong (other than being really dirty). The reels are red in color, but as far as I can tell look identical to a 6500 C3 in the 'guts'. Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! 

Bryan Young

What is the reels spoed with?  It might be that the spools are warped. I've seen it on a few abus when they spooled mono too tight.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

gofish_AK

Thanks for the reply. The reels are both spooled with 65lb Power Pro. Although I can't really see any warping on the spools, it would make sense to me. I don't think it would take too much to cause this issue. Sounds like it may be time for a couple new reels.

wallacewt

not yet gofish,  1 step at a time. is the level wind free.take the level wind out,put reel back together ,try now.still dont work, its not the level wind

Ken_D

Quote from: gofish_AK on December 06, 2012, 03:36:46 AM
Hi:
   I've done quite a few basic repairs to Abu's in the past, but have run into a new problem when looking at a couple of my buddy's reels. He has two reels, both with the same issue. The spool seems to be stuck somehow. It is extremely difficult to reel and it is also difficult to pull line when in free-spool, even with the tension loosened all the way. I took both of them apart, cleaned them, and couldn't really see anything wrong (other than being really dirty). The reels are red in color, but as far as I can tell look identical to a 6500 C3 in the 'guts'. Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!  

Free spool and reel mode seems to be the clues to the little white centrifugal "flyweights" being jammed against the rim of the enclosure they are supposed to run in. A sport will open the reel, and forget to push the weights fully inboard, so they then crush up and squish against the rim, on the underside of the brakeplate, instead of being inside.  Take a peek and see if that was it.  

If that's not it, check the axles.. they may be bent. To check, remove the transmission side of the reel, place axle and spool in the lh sideplate, and twirl the axle 720° If it binds, it is possibly bent*. If they can freely turn 2 revs,  They are OK. *Also: check the little hole in the lh sidepate for square..sometimes the hole where the axle goes gets bent out of square, by a dropped sideplate...causing the axle to appear bent. Check the outside of the sideplate for any deformations.

Locate another LH sideplate and axle from a reel that's working, and mount the good stuff on the sour reel, and the sour stuff on the good reel, to verify. You don't need to screw it on, handheld will prove or disprove. You can do the same with a good frame with a functioning levelwind. to either prove or disprove the levelwind suggestion above.

Rarely is the right hand sideplate out of whack, but check it too, against a good reel, for deformations.
Ensure that the bearings or bushings are running free.  Hope this helps.

Keta

Quote from: Ken_D on December 06, 2012, 06:59:59 AM
Rarely is the right hand sideplate out of whack, but check it too, against a good reel, for deformations.

I've seen right side plates deformed by dropping the reel on a hard surface, they can often be popped back into usable shape but they never are as good as a undamaged reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

Quote from: Ken_D on December 06, 2012, 06:59:59 AM
Quote from: gofish_AK on December 06, 2012, 03:36:46 AM
Hi:

Free spool and reel mode seems to be the clues to the little white centrifugal "flyweights" being jammed against the rim of the enclosure they are supposed to run in. A sport will open the reel, and forget to push the weights fully inboard, so they then crush up and squish against the rim, on the underside of the brakeplate, instead of being inside.  Take a peek and see if that was it.  

If that's not it, check the axles.. they may be bent. To check, remove the transmission side of the reel, place axle and spool in the lh sideplate, and twirl the axle 720° If it binds, it is possibly bent*. If they can freely turn 2 revs,  They are OK. *Also: check the little hole in the lh sidepate for square..sometimes the hole where the axle goes gets bent out of square, by a dropped sideplate...causing the axle to appear bent. Check the outside of the sideplate for any deformations.

Locate another LH sideplate and axle from a reel that's working, and mount the good stuff on the sour reel, and the sour stuff on the good reel, to verify. You don't need to screw it on, handheld will prove or disprove. You can do the same with a good frame with a functioning levelwind. to either prove or disprove the levelwind suggestion above.

Ensure that the bearings or bushings are running free.  Hope this helps.

stickied!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

gofish_AK

Hey Ken:
     You nailed it! I took them apart again and pushed in on the little white "flyweights". They were, in fact, jammed up against the inside of the enclosure. After putting them back together they both worked perfectly again. Hard to believe that's all it was. Thanks a lot for the tip, my friend will be thrilled to have his reels back in working order.

wallacewt

there you are gofish, lotta smart cookies on this site. next time you will be able to help someone, and so it grows.cheers

Ken_D

Good to know, fishing now re-happening.  All the possibilities, indicated, by me and the talented crew in this thread, have also happened.  So it's a good move by Alan (thx AT) to put a pin in the topic.  None of us knows as much as all of us.  Cheers, KD.

alantani

yeah, seen alot of ambassaduer with bent pins.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I've done that once...but bent pins too.  I'm glad it was my reel when it happened.

BTW, 65# braid?  Wow, I string mine with 20# max braid.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ken_D

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 07, 2012, 06:31:53 PM
I've done that once...but bent pins too.  I'm glad it was my reel when it happened.

BTW, 65# braid?  Wow, I string mine with 20# max braid.

I've got 80 pound T.U.F. line on mine. This goes to not so much the fish, but the snags and rocks in an in-river fishery.  At about 5.00 a spoon, it's economical to just hold the rod straight like a stick, wrap the line three times around the reel, and walk backwards, slowly. 9 times from 10, the hook straightens out, (or pops out of the crevice) and you get your spoon back. Another 20 cent Siwash hook, and Bob's your Aunt's live-in lover... :D  

wallacewt

haha,("and bob") how many others are there.