Jigmaster 500 joins the double-dog family (from Irish Jigger)

Started by redsetta, December 09, 2012, 07:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irish Jigger

It's quite a straight forward process guys.
Just remember a new hole to locate the second spring securing pin (3/32" dia) will be required even on  Bridges having  both sets of holes. 

jigmaster501

Irish Jigger,

Would it be possible to create a template for us on a regular sheet of paper that we could use to make template for laying out the holes like you did here?

If it were uploaded to the site here, we could print it on heavy paper, drill the hole in the paper and put it on the bridge for marking.

This is really nice stuff and having a template to replicate you sucess time and again would be priceless.

Come to think of it, if someone could make those for you on sheets of plastic that fit on the bridge, you could be rich just selling them.....

Thanks.

Irish Jigger

Jigmaster 501,
I will see what I can do in the way of a simple diagram re the hole positions.
The Dog locating pin hole is exactly opposite the existing Dog locating pin hole. Some Bridges have these holes in both sides for RH or LH reels so if you have one of these you are in luck.
Once you have this hole drilled, fit the second dog to engage with the sleeve.
Mark out the position for the spring location pin hole (same pitch as the two existing pins) so as the spring is in contact with the dog as shown in the Pics. The spring should contact the new dog as near as 90 degrees as possible and a little cut out or pin in the dog would prevent the spring from slipping (the cut out is an easier option than fitting a pin.)

The reason for the cut out or pin is because the spring securing channel in the Right Side Plate has been Dremeled out to clear the second dog.

You may  have to make the two pins as I don't think they are available as spares. I made mine from brass screw nails on a drill press using a file.

Joel.B

I am thinking I am going to go with the alternating dog route- for what I will be doing with it I don't think the added strength is as important to me as the reduced back-play.  Sure wish I could have both though.....

Bryan Young

I want to try this as soon as my brother gives me his mini-lathe/milling machine.  Next...how to hook it up to a computer to automate the grinding and cutting process.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Joel.B

Tom- when in dual mode, are both of your dogs "dropping" in at exact same time? 

Irish Jigger

Joel.B- Yes both dogs kick in simultaneously. It may be necessary to file one dog slightly after the first dog engages the sleeve in order to have them work together and share the load.

Joel.B

Quote from: Irish Jigger on July 19, 2013, 10:39:59 PM
Joel.B- Yes both dogs kick in simultaneously. It may be necessary to file one dog slightly after the first dog engages the sleeve in order to have them work together and share the load.

Yes, I found this out....but I think exact placement of the posts for extra dog is really crucial here.......because of the angles of teeth on the sleeve and tips of dogs....getting the dogs to engage at same time is easy, getting them both to drop-in at exact same time and also engage equally not so easy.

floating doc

I have a 112H that I'm going to double dog. I'm really not clear on the process. This discussion will help.
Central Florida

redsetta

G'day fd,
Here's how Tom (Irish Jigger) approached it:
I used the 'traditional' approach, but also fabricated a little cover for the spring:
Tom's is the more elegant solution ;) ;D
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

I finally decided to give Tom's (Irish Jigger) brilliant idea a shot. You have set the bar high on this one my friend ;)

Not as easy as you made it look, but I was able to get it done.
If I can do it, so can anyone else, so get cranking. ;D
Thanks again Tom, this one is one of my favorite.
Thanks to you, Alan, Bryan and Lee we now have a very nice 17lbs. reel . ;)
We now have:
The Surfmaster 100.................10lbs reel
The Jigmaster 501...................17lbs
The Tank................................25lbs
The super Tank.......................30lbs
I believe we have it all covered, but I'm sure we won't stop here ;) ;D

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

Sal,

Just wondering why you are fighing the 501 @ 17 lbs when you said the Jigmaster is smooth to 20? If you say it is 17, then it is 17. I'm just wondering why.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Quote from: noyb72 on August 11, 2013, 08:44:37 PM
Sal,

Just wondering why you are fighing the 501 @ 17 lbs when you said the Jigmaster is smooth to 20? If you say it is 17, then it is 17. I'm just wondering why.

Ron
;D ;D just being conservative Ron and trying to minimize on arguments with those that don't believe us ;D.
I got 22 at max with Bryan's washers and 29 with the hex, the pinion showed signs of failure at above 25lbs.
17 to 18 lbs is still a great improvement from 8lbs and if needed we know that we have a little more to get the job done ;)
I was conservative with the others as well, I got 30 max with the Tank and well over 40 lbs with the Super Tank.
Keep in mind these have been pushed to their limit and that's not where they should be fished at.
I still believe we did great.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

Completely agree, fantastic bit of engineering. 17 pounds still means you could fish it with 60 pound line. Even with braid I'm not certain you could get 200 yards of it on that tiny spool. Great little reel for pitching into the rocks.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

RowdyW