Jigmaster 500 joins the double-dog family (from Irish Jigger)

Started by redsetta, December 09, 2012, 07:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

Position of two new holes and two locating pins with one standard dog.

Area in red to be dremmled.

Three stainless steel dogs (one containing spring location pin) and one standard Penn dog (reference only).

New pins fitted and springs secured (temporary braid to prevent loss of springs.)

Stainless steel dogs in 'dual' mode.

Stainless steel dogs in 'alternating' mode to reduce handle/gear backlash.

Cheers, Tom
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

redsetta

Great work Tom - that's top-notch.
Particularly like the dual and alternating options - class.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Irish Jigger

Thanks for posting the pics Justin,I haven't got the hang of it yet. :-[
The dogs are 2mm/14swg 316 stainless steel.
The pinned dog is to locate the spring as Dremmeling the side plate removes the spring securing slot.
The three dogs are standard size except the the RHS dual dog which is about 2mm shorter.

I now need a fine thread stainless steel Sleeve to complete the job.

Alto Mare

Excellent work Tom, I'm impressed!
Did you make the pins or did you pull them from another bridge?
Very clean job ;). I know that you're a great fisherman, but had no idea that you had that much talent with this stuff.....I now feel better about your reviews on that custom reel from the past ;).
Thanks for bringing it to us Tom, you definitely moved it up a notch.
Are those ss dogs Lee's?
Later buddy.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Cone

"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Bryan Young

The Irish Gentleman has skills!  I would love to do that especially with my ProGear 255 and 251s. Any more details on how you did it Tom?  Would love to learn.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Nice work!  What is the thread on the spring for?  How did you get the locating pin on the dog?  BTW, nice dogs!
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

You've raised the bar another notch.  Thanks for the thread idea, too.   
viurem lliures o morirem

Irish Jigger

Thank's for the kind comments guys and a special "thank you" to Sal for starting so many of us on the double dog road.

Sal, the hinge pin was made from a brass wood screw in the drill press using medium and fine files.
One end was reduced in diameter in order to fit through the bridge and be peened (riveted) to secure.

The spring location pin was from a 3/32" dia (0.093in) stainless steel welding rod and had both ends slightly tapered,one to ease fitting the spring and the other to assist in fitting to the bridge (drive fit.) I formed a small groove on the pin in the drill press using a three square (triangular) needle file to help secure the spring on assembly.

The dogs were made from off cuts of 2mm, 316 stainless steel by drilling and using a 15-500 dog as a template. They were cut using a hacksaw and filed to shape.
One dog had a fine stainless steel pin  (fish hook shank) fitted in order to retain the spring as the spring location groove was removed when Dremmeling the side plate.
A special dog having a 90 degree spring location hook would also suffice.

Lee, I found the small springs very difficult to handle and tethered them by passing a length of braid through the spring and forming a loop. They were easier to handle/find this way. Believe me they are even worse to handle than the 14-99's ;)
Re the pin. It's 1/16"dia,drilled through the dog and pressed it in,fiddly!.

Bryan, I am not familiar with the ProGear reels but I am sure you could carry out a similar mod on them.
I think it is important that  the second dog hinge pin should be positioned exactly opposite the existing one on the bridge ie in the "opposite hand" position or where it would be on a left hand reel.
The spring location pin position can then be established with the new dog in position.

Keta

A SPRING LEASH!!!!!   Very good idea! 

My first dogs were hand made but I have a bandsaw and belt grinder, yours were time consuming and they look V good.  I have a modified 113H dog with a "pin" cut in them drawn up for the second dog but haven't cut any yet.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

wallacewt

slgriffiths

Great work, and good to see solid basic engineering handskills and hand tools at work.  Sometimes I think we shy away from "fettling" things the old fashioned way, because we don't have the CNC, the lathe, the milling machine, etc. - but here's an example of what can be done with skill, files and patience.

Well done.

Simon.

Bryan Young

Tom,

My Pro Gears are the size of squidders with the guts of Jigmasters. That is why I'm excited for this.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 10, 2012, 07:44:58 AM
Tom,

My Pro Gears are the size of squidders with the guts of Jigmasters. That is why I'm excited for this.

Bryan

Bryan, if the guts are similar to the Jigmasters you should have no trouble with the conversion. A friend with a lathe would be a big help with the hinge pin if you were considering converting more than one reel. The standard Penn 15-500 dogs will suffice but you need to ensure that the spring is prevented from slipping off the dog when assembled. I am sure you will think of something. Pity to Dremmel those lovely aluminium side plates!
Tom.