bearings

Started by wallacewt, December 13, 2012, 04:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan.han

Brake cleaner works fine and I don't mind the fumes. I usually use a small shot of WD-40/Liquid Wrench/Corrosion-X then compressed air, then I use a small shot of brake cleaner to remove all the thinned down stuff followed by a shot of compressed air and maybe another shot of brake cleaner. It takes all of 5-10 seconds. I use the lighter viscosity WD-40/Liquid Wrench/Corrosion-X  to thin the grease down, then the brake cleaner to remove the rest of the grease. It really works well and fast. I started using the WD-40/stc. before the brake cleaner after taking some recommendations from Alan when I started a few years ago. Ever since then, it's been a cake walk. Bearings stripped and cleaned ready for lube takes less than a minute or two once opened and removed from the reel.
raw instinct

rhino

yep I use brake cleaner also and have no problem at all with it. when I clean my ceramic hybrids after a few casting tournaments I remove the covers, rinse in brake cleaner and they are good to go again, the stainless steel ones I do the same process but I ad heat from a lighter when most of the cleaner has evaporated and I spin the bearing on a spindle then while the bearing is still hot I put a drop of thin oil in because as you know oil goes thinner in heat so the rest runs out as I spin it up on the spindle leaving only a very small amount inside that's for my casting reels though, my fishing reels I do the same but use a thicker oil, I know everyone has their own way of cleaning them but just thought I would share how I do mine :)
RHINO POWER
      jay lee

Dominick

Wow! A new one on me.  Heat and slick does the trick.   :D Or would one say warm and smear for the gear? One could say warm and anoint is the point.  Is this just silly?  ::) BTW Welcome Rhino. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

rhino

;D ;D ;D it works well for me Dominick, thanks mate it seems to be a fantastic site, bunch of great guys
RHINO POWER
      jay lee

Shark Hunter

I tried some Hoppes No 9 gun cleaner and it works great. Only because I was out of everything else, if you can get past the stink. ::)
Life is Good!

Meanwhile

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 27, 2014, 04:57:36 PM
I tried some Hoppes No 9 gun cleaner and it works great. Only because I was out of everything else, if you can get past the stink. ::)

No stink, smells like old times to me.  It brings back great memories of my high school rifle team.  No such things today I suppose. 

Aiala

I've used Gun Scrubber by Birchwood Casey to melt away nasty congealed grease. Just bought a can on Amazon to prep my 9/0 for new parts.  :)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

wendull

Ok,I searched this forum and think I found the answer,but ask it anyway.Can I get enough oil into the smaller bearings without removing the shields?or have I been wasting oil for all those years? Plus I couldnt get the shields off anyway

alantani

if i'm going to oil a bearing, i just drizzle oil into the bearing.  it should work fine. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarcosG

Hi folks, sorry for piggy-back the topic.
I was wondering if It's ok to pack the bearings using the yamaha marine grease with one drop of reelX. On the bearing for the main shaft and the ones on the right and left side (Penn 8500) I also have different types of grease if you guys think it is more suitable but not the outboard. Have some that looks like outboard grease that I've seen in this forum.
The Penn 710Z has only one bearing on the main shaft with is shielded and I can't open it up to lube. However it seems to be in good shape but would hurt to lube is also, just don't' know how since I can't open it.
On the smaller reels, just ReelX with a coat of grease on both sides (outer sides)?

Thanks as usual

Tiddlerbasher

Marcos TSI301/321 for bearings that have to spin quickly, eg casting conventionals/ baitcasters. Marine grease for bearings that do not spin quickly (also gears, shafts and non-movers.), trolling and larger spinners. Small freshwater spinners I use TSI321 on all the bearings, marine grease on the gears and shafts.

alantani

bryan mixes corrosion x and grease all the time.  i'm too lazy.......   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

When working on a reel and have all bearings removed I put them in a container of Lacquer Thinner while I service other parts of the reel. I do this allot on the larger trolling reels that have the thick grease in the bearings. When it's time for the bearings they are further cleaned with Carb cleaner and light pressure compressed air is used to dry them and make sure they are fully clean. Doing this saves me time and money on the Carburetor cleaner.

Most spinners with greased bearings are done the same way.

For smaller bait casting reels I just use the Carb cleaner and compressed air.

I also mix the CorrosionX with marine grease. I mix a big plastic tub of it and suck it up into one of the small grease guns. This is for use in some spinning reels and conventional reels.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

Quote from: MarcosG on October 06, 2014, 12:17:10 PM
Hi folks, sorry for piggy-back the topic.
I was wondering if It's ok to pack the bearings using the yamaha marine grease with one drop of reelX. On the bearing for the main shaft and the ones on the right and left side (Penn 8500) I also have different types of grease if you guys think it is more suitable but not the outboard. Have some that looks like outboard grease that I've seen in this forum.
The Penn 710Z has only one bearing on the main shaft with is shielded and I can't open it up to lube. However it seems to be in good shape but would hurt to lube is also, just don't' know how since I can't open it.
On the smaller reels, just ReelX with a coat of grease on both sides (outer sides)?

Thanks as usual

This is where I use the new Yamaha blue/green grease mixed with CorrosionX. Just oil doesn't work and just grease will slow down the reel and make it sluggish to crank. I have it mixed in the small grease gun with Alan T's bearing packer. You can do the same by opening the bearing, cleaning, add CorrosionX to the bearing, and then grease.

Also when you have the pressed in shielded bearings like on the Penn 710 you can remove one shield, clean and service, and put the open side of the bearing down into the cup of the reels body. Alan has a tutorial here on how to open all bearings.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bryan Young

Sure you can mix ReelX with Yamaha Marine Grease.  It works just fine.

I used to mix Evinrude Triple Guard with CorrosionX until I started using Yamaha Marine Grease. If I feel that the grease is just too thick, I dip the bearing in TSI301, then pack with Yamaha Grease.  It works for me.  I think TSI bonds to the bearing and races and the grease just fills in the gaps and helps cushion the bearings, races, and everything else in the bearing.  At least that is what I think is happening.

By the way, I tried cleaning bearings with acetone for the first time.  I place the bearings in a jar, covered with acetone, closed the jar and placed the jar in the ultrasonic cleaner and the bearings were spotless.  I think I'm going to start cleaning gears in this manner.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D