Why "upgrade" a Penn 60?

Started by Keta, December 14, 2012, 04:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Because we can.

I'll try to post photos but I just finished upgrading a 60 that I picked up in a $8.00 box of parts reels.  

SS gear sleeve, 24-49 handle, Carbontex and SS drag washers and a new aluminum spool (I had 2 29-85 spools that I thought were both good but gave someone the only good one :P.... it's in a better place now ;)) and a SS dog is being cut.  It's spooled with 30lb Dacron for now.

I tested it on a rod and get 16lbs of drag but I'm planning on fishing it with 25-30 line for inshore rockfish and possibly live bait albacore if I respool it with 40lb Spectra.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

doradoben

I had a very nice one until about 10 years ago that I used for shallow water rock fish in So. Cal. I gave up on it because of the gear ratio & now use a modified 501. I liked the size of the 60, but at the time didn't know that you could get an aluminum spool that would work in it. A different spool would have made the reel more useful for trying to fish with sardines on the surface. If you fish heavier line for albacore will you keep the same reel base that it came with or is there something more heavy duty (with a clamp) that fits??

Keta

Same base, I'm not sure any other will fit.   

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

The spool isn't in a better place yet, it will be in my daughters hand on the 25th.

I am looking long and hard at building frames and this will be the reel I do it to. Their isn't any other size reel we can steal stronger parts from.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keith K

George4741

Lee's quote:  Why "upgrade " a Penn 60?

Why not?  I think it'll be just fine for rockfish and it would turn my head quicker than any 21st century space-age reel.  Old-school is cool. 8)
viurem lliures o morirem

Dominick

Hey Lee:  stop teasing and post the #%$&ing Pictures...  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

Lee,
The only other thing I did to mine was use a 113 star, much more convenient than the little one. With steel gears, 5 drag washers and 2.5 gear ratio, my girls will use these for more than rock fish. I still need a non plastic spool and may break down and buy aluminum.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Problem #1
The shaft on the bridge appearers to be much smaller than the ID of the gear sleeve, the gear sleeve flops around too much and the spacer rubs on the sideplate, I have a newer bridge at the shop that I'll check.  There is not enough room to sleeve the gearsleeve.  For what I'm planning with this reel a brass gearsleeve will work.

Mark Twain

john2244

Ron,

I have a new plastic Penn 85 spool you can have as a backup.  I believe it will also fit the Penn 60.  Send me PM with your address if you want me to send it out.
John

Ron Jones

Thanks John, but I think I have 3 plastic spools, I love how they cast but I'm worried that they may not to be up to the challenge if the girls get into an Ahi.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Alto Mare

Come on guys, you're not going to stop there.
Try to give it some more horse power under the hood  ;D.

Replaced the 5-60, 1+3 stack with the 5-66, 1+5 stack. It slowed down quite a bit :-\

Here is a shot showing that everything went in nicely

you will need to do some carving on this one

and here is the finished 60

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Sal, you're getting very handy with the dremel.  Nice job, you've raised the bar, again!
viurem lliures o morirem

Dominick

Hey Sal have you ever tried sculpting?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

don't encourage him.  he has too many bad habits already.... 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!