Training / Certification Reel Maintenance/Repair

Started by richh, November 13, 2009, 02:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richh

Alan hi , I saw your comments re user login etc .
We are fishing a lot - thats why we are using your info to keep our reels working .
Great web site , greatly appreciated .

Alan pls advise - is it possible to get training/certification or similar for reel maintenance / repairs from the reel manufacturers ?
I would like to take up reel maintenance part time/full time and for years have been servicing mine and freinds etc .
My limited knowledge covers shimano bantams up to tld 50's , older Penn and daiwa models.

I would like to update my info and capabilities .
Many thanks for your contribution to my fishing success , regards , richh .

realmedic

lake fork tackle repair has a 2 day program that will teach you how to get started. they also have a dvd and a combo kit as far as certification i really couldnt tell you, alan mmay know alot more then i do.  ;D

alantani

there is nothing as far as in know.  techs at the various service centers get some manuals and some on the job training.  other than checking with the various manufacturers, there really is nothing that i know of.  it is an unregulated industry. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

realmedic

alan,

i checked with quantum to become an autherized service center its basically ordering reel repair parts from them and the same with other manufactors. after a year or 2 you can become an autherized warrenty center through the manufactor

rickjc

Hi Richh,

I do reel repair at my tackle shop, helps out in the slow winter months.  I sell most of the major brands of reels and have found they vary in helping you with parts and service info.  Shimano seems to be the best,  Abu Garcia had no idea how to help me with getting parts at wholesale price, I guess I need to get hold of the right person.  Just the other day I asked my Quantum sales rep. about purchasing parts and he told me to call customer service and if I find anything out to let him know.  Alot of reel repair is common sense, buy some cheap reels and tear them apart the learning comes from practice.

Alan, thanks for the great site I mainly work on fresh water reels but had a customer bring in 3 Penn 320GT2 for service and your tutorial came in quite handy.

Thanks
Rick

richh

Not sure how this reply thing works ?
Rickjc , realmedic , alan , many thanks for info .
There seems to be a requirement for better customer care .
Perhaps some one (who knows how to use a computer) could post our comments on the Manufacturers web/comments pages .
Thanks guys , may the fish be with you .
Quote from: richh on November 13, 2009, 02:01:45 AM
Alan hi , I saw your comments re user login etc .
We are fishing a lot - thats why we are using your info to keep our reels working .
Great web site , greatly appreciated .

Alan pls advise - is it possible to get training/certification or similar for reel maintenance / repairs from the reel manufacturers ?
I would like to take up reel maintenance part time/full time and for years have been servicing mine and freinds etc .
My limited knowledge covers shimano bantams up to tld 50's , older Penn and daiwa models.

I would like to update my info and capabilities .
Many thanks for your contribution to my fishing success , regards , richh .

realmedic

i mostly work on fresh water reels myself and ive only been at it now 6 months. but im working with some reel every day or so since i have alot of friends who fish.  ;D